Dan_USMC13

Shock leader with braid?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think almost everyone says to use leader lines.

I experimented popper directly connected to braid and got hit by tuna.

I had striper on Magic Swimmer directly connected to braid.

i observed that angler uses without leader line got hit as many as anglers who use leader line when fishing yellowtail from the rocks.  He even got the trophy 70 plus lb yellowtail.

However, the leader line is needed to protect from abrasion or holding the line when landing. 

20200624_052531.jpg

stripedbass9yellowtail.jpg

Edited by ksong

I was a tournament caster for close to 20 years , I have logged thousands of hours field casting  . In all that time I have only snapped leaders on one day when casting 8oz on 50lb mono. I believe I cracked off 3 times that day using a ground cast. I could cast 8oz 635’ . I never ever snapped a leader using 100-150g sinkers (3 1/2 - 5 1/2oz) , I can cast those weights 700’ plus . 
55lb braid is probably testing out at 80 to 100lb test so in most fishing situations you as not generating sufficient force to snap it. IMHO you don’t need a shock leader with 55 braid but you should use a shorter leader to provide protection to you line section closest to your rig or plug. 
The often stated rule of 10lb of line test to each oz of weight cast is a rule that was carried over from British surf casting which was geared towards pendulum casting which generated much more force and distance than typical US casting styles. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, connman said:

55lb braid is probably testing out at 80 to 100lb test so in most fishing situations you as not generating sufficient force to snap it.

Many 55lb braids, not all.

JDM braids (like Gosen, Daiwa Saltiga, Shimano Pitbull and YGK for example) in 50lb will break at or very close to stated BS.

Here in SA many braids are accurately labled for BS, it gets a bit annoying as there are of course lines like 832 and PowerPro sold here that, being destined for the US market understate BS.

What brand braid are you using Dan?

Edited by ZAFisher