Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. July 10 - July 17

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. The sharing benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and our local waters.

The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal unit, making it easy to access, view and add your own reports.  

This is the third year with this kind of approach. Last year was great participation. 

Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero,  let us all know where the bite is good or is it not worth fishing at all.

Fresh, factual information is the best Intel source we have today at our disposal. 

Some rain and wind in the weather forecast the next few days from a tropical storm.

The wind doesn't look so strong. The rain might help rivers levels and make the hex hatch for trout better.

Excited, heading to the block for a few days. Shore bound, but hopeful. Wife is scared of the recent white shark pings, but the weather may keep us out of the water... and casting more. Will report back anything of note. 

Good for you, man.  Hopefully this blow brings you some good fish.  If you're comfortable with eels, you might want to try them at some point...if not, now might be a good time to learn!

1 hour ago, McNizzles said:

Excited, heading to the block for a few days. Shore bound, but hopeful. Wife is scared of the recent white shark pings, but the weather may keep us out of the water... and casting more. Will report back anything of note. 

I might see you out there, but I'll be in a boat.

If you hear me yell out, "Marco?"  Yell back, "Polo

Out front today 5:30am until 11:00am incoming tide, foggy at times with low clouds.  8 stripers, 2 blues, 2 fluke (no keepers), 1 huge sea bass, 3 scup.  Switched from plugs to bottom fishing 1/2 way through trip.   There were several small pods/schools of 22-26 inch stripers around with subtle subsurface blitzes.  Most fish were next to structure, some right next to shore.  I saw a lot of fishing boats blaze right over the blitzes completely oblivious and putting the fish down for a while.  The stripers were only taking small artificials today.  They wouldn't touch the big profile plugs.

Posted (edited) · Report post

* 7/10 from 6am to 10am produced 2 stripers, 23" and 24", and a scup on a 3 oz high - low rig with cut squid. 

New to RI fishing - from MA but will be spending a lot of time here. Thankful for a forum to communicate on. Hope to learn a lot and catch a bunch of fish. 

(Here's a quick question - when landing a fish, does sand on the body/ potentially in the gills harm the fish? Any handling techniques to preserve the fishery would be appreciated.)

20200711_073255.jpg

20200711_073240.jpg

Edited by TimS
location removed - please be very general when posting locations - thanks :-)

Slime removal is usually bigger issue than gill damage from sand. God gave the fish gill plates for a reason.

Posting where you caught is way more harmful to the fish than sand in the gills of one, and I’m being serious. 

When you post where you caught, 10 people could possibly show up.  Thats potentially 20 or more fish with sand in their gills. 

This isn’t aimed at you because you’re new here, but I don’t get what’s so hard to understand about posting specific spots and the ramifications that come with it. Apparently it drums up business for charter captains, though. 

Two slot fish about halfway through the drop yesterday. No other bumps, minimal bait seen. Got to break in the new reel. 

“Penn Staal”

E4763A62-0F9B-42C5-B809-D8811F72DBE7.jpeg.537e86d153074fe4b798ca58de859d2e.jpeg

Stayed mostly with plugging and jigs last night and did well both flood and drop out front. If anyone braved the waves in a boulderfield last night, odds are you had a good bite. Sacrificed a few eels to the toothies but the bass showed little interest till a fat plug went out there. Must be a 2020 thing but grey and blueish hue plugs were the go to which we were thinking must imitate a snapper blue. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Picky fish popping on "rain bait", bait was 1-2" and took a bit to find what fish wanted.  Ended up with 6 fish 22-24" mostly with 1 fat 26/27".  After throwing the bag at them the teaser took a few fish and most went for a unweighted fin-s.  They would slam the fin - s but had to put it right in front of their face.  Some weeds around but fishable, volume of small bait was crazy.

669B931C-428F-4658-9210-55B7FB04DFAB.jpeg

Edited by Kooky

Fish a popular jetty at day break. Very fishy only landed few dinks. TONs of bait when tide and wind was pushing them out. 

SEAROBIN was the fish of the day out fishing fluke 1 to 7. There was even a blitz from them surfacing the water off and on throughout the  outgoing(very cool to see). Then everything stopped when tide hit dead low. 

Fished the morning from shore started a little after sunrise. Picked up about 10 small schoolies 18” variety. Caught one decent blue and one small fluke. Fishing died when either the sun got to bright or the tide went to low slack. Whatever. It died around 10. 

Very nice morning. Glad I was able to get out. 

Fished at a long jetty this morning and was lucky enough to have stripers blitzing up and down the jetty within casting distance. I pretty much threw every lures in my bag in front, behind, and around them but they absolutely show no interest in them. 

What am I doing wrong?

1 hour ago, davew76 said:

Fished at a long jetty this morning and was lucky enough to have stripers blitzing up and down the jetty within casting distance. I pretty much threw every lures in my bag in front, behind, and around them but they absolutely show no interest in them. 

What am I doing wrong?

Are you certain they were stripers?