JBreese1

next up, Smith Corona 03-A3 Re-Build

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Now that I finished the AR-15 / M-16 clone build it's time to start work on my 1942 Smith Corona 03-A3. I picked it up cheap in April due to it being sporterized. The good thing is that none of the critical parts had been cut or modified. The barrel, receiver, sights and bolt are all original. The only work dome was that someone cut down the stock, eliminated the handguard and disposed of the barrel bands, springs and front band with the bayonet lug. It was also missing the magazine follower. I ordered all the correct original parts in April, but shipping was delayed due to the Corona virus. All the parts arived when I was in the middle of the 1795 Springfield restoration and I wanted to finish the AR-15 project first before getting into another project. Again here are some before pic's.

Jim

03-A3-1.jpg

03-A3-3.jpg

03-A3-3.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

That will be a nice rifle when you are done.  I have a decent selection of MILSURP rifles but my favorite two to shoot are my S.C. 03-A3 and my Lithgow SMLE.  OH

Edited by Old Hunter

did the sporterized stock have a recoil pad on it? looks like the  length-of-pull was real short. Maybe for a youth?

should be a great gun when you get it together. when my dad was in WW2, this is what they trained on and used until they got the  Garands issued in England.

I still suck at this computer stuff, Try Again.

Just finished assembling my Lee Enfield tonight

Started by JBreese1, February 22, 2018

Rate this topic

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

5 posts in this topic

JBreese1

• 1,000 Post Club!
  •  
  • BST Users
  •  
  • 3,442 posts

The last few screws and springs were waiting for me when I got home from work. I have been assembling an Lee Enfield Mod.1 Mark3* rifle from various part sources. I found a really nice Barreled,stripped receiver on one of the gun auction sites and scored it for a great price. I then began collecting all the correct,original parts for this particular model gun [1942 Lithgow Arsenal {Austrailia}]

The gun is obviously not a numbers matching gun, but most are not after going through multiple arsenal re-builds.  I was able to complete the build far cheaper than comparable rifles are selling for. Here are a few pic's of it completed.

1942 lithgow.JPG

I GIVE UP !!!!! I can never copy pic's from one thread to another. If you search Lee Enfield in the SOL search feature, my 1942 LITHGOW build comes up and my Jungle carbine clone I built also.

Jim

16 hours ago, Farflung said:

did the sporterized stock have a recoil pad on it? looks like the  length-of-pull was real short. Maybe for a youth?

should be a great gun when you get it together. when my dad was in WW2, this is what they trained on and used until they got the  Garands issued in England.

Be a lot nicer to shoot with heavier stock on it. 

19 hours ago, JBreese1 said:

I GIVE UP !!!!! I can never copy pic's from one thread to another. If you search Lee Enfield in the SOL search feature, my 1942 LITHGOW build comes up and my Jungle carbine clone I built also.

Jim

I’ll find it.  I’d like to read about your build.  I actually inherited mine, so it was complete when I got it.

Here is my M1903 A3:

Rifle was given to me free. I made a titanium firing pin (lighter) and new cocking piece (shorter lock-time), installed a pre-64 Winchester 3-position safety (most folks do not realize a model 70 Winchester is a copy of a Springfield 03, basically), a Dakota bolt handle, a Timney trigger, the bottom metal from an M 1903, a Douglas XX air-guaged barrel in 30-06 Akley Improved, and bedded it all into a Boyd's cheapo stock.

The Springfield everyone wished they had when I was a kid!

With a little work an 03' can become a sweet riffle!

FINALLY.jpg

Zen Master, Very nice work. It seems we work at the opposite end of the spectrum. It is funny how trends and time works. After major wars and older designs become obsolete, the civilian population picks up the mil. surplus guns cheap and modifies them into sporting and hunting rifles. Than after more years pass the collectors of pure military firearms grab up any left in original configuration driving up the prices. Some are purchased by gun busters because they can make more money selling the individual parts as opposed to the complete rifle. Then you have people like me who looks for sporterized / modified military weapons I can now purchase cheaper and restore to as issued condition. I have an Love / Hate relationship with the gun busters. I hate to see historic guns broken up and sold for parts for profit, but could not do what I do without them.    

Jim

On 7/9/2020 at 6:15 PM, JBreese1 said:

Now that I finished the AR-15 / M-16 clone build it's time to start work on my 1942 Smith Corona 03-A3. I picked it up cheap in April due to it being sporterized. The good thing is that none of the critical parts had been cut or modified. The barrel, receiver, sights and bolt are all original. The only work dome was that someone cut down the stock, eliminated the handguard and disposed of the barrel bands, springs and front band with the bayonet lug. It was also missing the magazine follower. I ordered all the correct original parts in April, but shipping was delayed due to the Corona virus. All the parts arived when I was in the middle of the 1795 Springfield restoration and I wanted to finish the AR-15 project first before getting into another project. Again here are some before pic's.

Jim

03-A3-1.jpg

03-A3-3.jpg

03-A3-3.jpg

Dude...why are you not filming this and uploading it to youtube......I'm sure you'll gain a following instantaneously.

12 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Dude...why are you not filming this and uploading it to youtube......I'm sure you'll gain a following instantaneously.

I can barley manage posting pic's to this web site. I am the dumbass running after the internet caboose.

Jim

2 hours ago, JBreese1 said:

Zen Master, Very nice work. It seems we work at the opposite end of the spectrum. It is funny how trends and time works. After major wars and older designs become obsolete, the civilian population picks up the mil. surplus guns cheap and modifies them into sporting and hunting rifles. Than after more years pass the collectors of pure military firearms grab up any left in original configuration driving up the prices. Some are purchased by gun busters because they can make more money selling the individual parts as opposed to the complete rifle. Then you have people like me who looks for sporterized / modified military weapons I can now purchase cheaper and restore to as issued condition. I have an Love / Hate relationship with the gun busters. I hate to see historic guns broken up and sold for parts for profit, but could not do what I do without them.    

Jim

I am right there with you, Jim!

This is what the rifle looked like when it was given to me - butchered, and in a cheap plastic stock (early test fitting M70 safety and Scope screwed on to see if it would shoot, which it would not) with the original barrel cut-down. The 2-tone bolt handle is because thy guy welded it with material that would not take Parkerize...

So, I had no choice :D Before and after. Not exhibition grade, I know, but not bad for a budget rifle that will last another 100-years! The scope is just a Nikon in cheap old rings that came with the rifle - its what I had.

M70 SAFETY A.jpg

CLOSE UP.jpg

Edited by The Zen Master