Recruitkim

Question about Conventional Reels and Spinning Tackle

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Basically I have a conventional reel. Can I put the conventional reel on a spinning rod? If not, why?

Also, I know that party boats don't typically want passengers to use Spinning Reels when fishing. Why? 

Thanks.

No, if you put a conventional reel on a spinning rod then the world as you know it will cease to exist.

Haven't been on a party boat that didn't allow for spinners, but definitely on those that discouraged braid (which might be more likely on a spinner).

2 hours ago, c7272 said:

No, if you put a conventional reel on a spinning rod then the world as you know it will cease to exist.

Haven't been on a party boat that didn't allow for spinners, but definitely on those that discouraged braid (which might be more likely on a spinner).

Why would braid be discouraged? Visibility?

Conventional rods have more guides than spinning rods. This is to keep the line over the blank and the stress in a straight line, over the blank. 

Spinning rods have fewer guides because the line is under the blank and the stress is naturally in a straight line.

Use a conventional reel on a spinning rod, bend the rod with a fish and the line will go past the blank torquing and twisting the blank and the guides.

Not a good scenario for a long rod life.

Sure you can do it. You can also get in and out of your car thru the sunroof.

:)

While I generally use a conventional setup for bottom fishing, I have never been on a party boat that discourages spinning rods. They will certainly discourage under powered rods, but if you bring an appropriately sized setup I don't see why they would care. 

I’ve only seen party boats encourage spinning rods. But that’s just when people are renting and really don’t know what they are doing. Spinning rods are much easier to use if you are new.

Regarding conventional reels on a spinning rod, it will usually be ok but not ideal.  As someone mentioned earlier, guide placement and number of guides on a conventional rod is designed to minimize the line touching the blank when the rod bends.  Put a spinning rod in this situation and all bets are off.

i haven’t been on a party boat in a bunch of years, but I can understand why spinning outfits would be discouraged.  Several reasons I can think of.  One is that the typically lighter line would prevent you from horsing a fish when you need to.  Once I was on a party boat and the wind was blowing parallel to the side of the boat.  The fisherman on my right was using a spinning outfit.  Every time he opened his bail to drop his rig, the wind would blow a huge loop of line off his reel, crossing at least three fishermen to his left.  A real nuisance.  I would never use a spinning outfit on a party boat unless I was the only person on the boat.  In other words, never.  Party boats are crowded enough as is, without  inappropriate tackle making it even worse.

Edited by gadabout

Spinner with braid works on a conventional rod too! I have an Abu in my surfbag and switch back and forth!

C28500BF-B831-41FF-A624-6834A7E6FD33.jpeg

Edited by cheech