2020 is my best and worst season ever

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, The Fisherman said:

Certainly, to each his/her own.

But If you're going to add scent to flies, why not just get a bucket of eels or bunker chunks and be done with it?

Steve Culton

Guess I can’t figure out how to swing a chunk as well.

But as a naive fly convert I don’t see a stark contrast between a bulkhead, spun deer hair head or other similar design engaging their lateral line and dab of a chemical signal engaging their nostrils.  If both ‘feel’ and smell are stronger in most conditions near me why only appeal to their weakest sense? In my mind it just adds to the illusion of life to trick a fish.

Some baseball players want to hit more home runs. So some of them use another kind of juice to get that result. They get their home runs, but in their hearts they know it's not really in the spirit of the game, and only an artificial success.

By all means, fish for your own pleasure.

Me, I'm going to only fly fish au natural because it's hard. And for me, that makes it more fun.

Rock on, have fun, tight lines,

Steve Culton

"We fish for pleasure; I for Mine, you for yours."
-- James Leisenring

2 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

It seems as though folks are leaving twinks biting to find large feeding elsewhere. I'd like to see the stats on those decisions. Never understood that logic but particularly these days, the question is, can you really still target large from the surf and be successful? Doubtful, in NJ, almost a guarantee to stink the place up. 

There aren't enough fish to chase regardless of size, put me on a school of bass from 4-8lbs. and I won't leave until they do. And, big fish and little fish sometimes eat together, what the little ones leave in haste, the big girls eat on the outskirts and down below, they didn't get big by making mistakes. My logic is to try different approaches and see if it makes a difference. Seen nights when every fish was the same fish, not a reason to complain or wonder, just the way it is.

Most folks targeting large only fish specific tides and locations, many with current, most with structure, us open beach casters just keep hunting by changing lures and walking the beach until we find the unicorn. 

Just when you think you've got a bead on the surfcasting game, it all changes and you go back to scratching yer nuts.

I’ve left dinks many times to look for larger fish. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t but it’s still worth the chance. I’ve caught a zillion dinks in my life, fish over 40” are far fewer in number. Also, I don’t have too many specific dink memories but big fish memories are seared into my brain. 

adding scent, we fish for our own enjoyment, so whatever floats your boat. Personally, I think it’s cheating and wouldn’t do it but I don’t care if someone else wants to. If it gets them out of the house and enjoyment, have fun. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

28 mins ago, The Fisherman said:

Some baseball players want to hit more home runs. So some of them use another kind of juice to get that result. They get their home runs, but in their hearts they know it's not really in the spirit of the game, and only an artificial success.

By all means, fish for your own pleasure.

Me, I'm going to only fly fish au natural because it's hard. And for me, that makes it more fun.

Rock on, have fun, tight lines,

Steve Culton

I just can’t see myself fishing a blitz with a fly rod , it’s like why do it ? 

If it has fins i want to catch it 

7 mins ago, Hook I said:

I just can’t see myself fishing a blitz with a fly rod , it’s like why do it ? 

I’ve seen many blitzes, especially rain bait and pnuts where the flyrod guys drastically out fish everyone else. 

thats ALWAYS fun. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

15 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I’ve seen many blitzes, especially rain bait and pnuts where the flyrod guys drastically out fish everyone else. 

thats ALWAYS fun. 

we all have a way of playing the game , what other guys do I really don’t care . 

If it has fins i want to catch it 

@The Fisherman and @Drew C.

I will do whatever it takes for trophy fish, but I track each fish true to how I caught it and I am honest about the true method.  I feel finding forty inch bass from shore caught with fly tackle is tough enough adding scent is not giving me a huge advantage.  But I will note the fly was scented if I post it.  I scent about 1/4 trips only when I know fish are there and nothing else can get them to eat.  Except crabbing I really like my scent when crabbing

I do sometimes get annoyed when guys are most likely doing something not pure fly fishing and pretending they are so I get it.  Because I have done all those other things I know the tricks and can spot them.  Like pretending a fish is pure fly caught but it was teased with a plug or Florida albie fishing when my guide chummed them up boat side and we kept some for grouper bait.  As long as people are honest about how they caught it and its legal I am cool with most methods.

7 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

It seems as though folks are leaving twinks biting to find large feeding elsewhere. I'd like to see the stats on those decisions. Never understood that logic but particularly these days, the question is, can you really still target large from the surf and be successful? Doubtful, in NJ, almost a guarantee to stink the place up. 

There aren't enough fish to chase regardless of size, put me on a school of bass from 4-8lbs. and I won't leave until they do. And, big fish and little fish sometimes eat together, what the little ones leave in haste, the big girls eat on the outskirts and down below, they didn't get big by making mistakes. My logic is to try different approaches and see if it makes a difference. Seen nights when every fish was the same fish, not a reason to complain or wonder, just the way it is.

Most folks targeting large only fish specific tides and locations, many with current, most with structure, us open beach casters just keep hunting by changing lures and walking the beach until we find the unicorn. 

Just when you think you've got a bead on the surfcasting game, it all changes and you go back to scratching yer nuts.

The every-time you think you have it figured out it changes is painfully true.

I have only fished a open sand beach maybe 4-5 timed in 8 seasons.  I almost exclusively fish inlets or rocky structure.  If you put me on beach I probably would not do well.  I agree multiple classes of fish can and will use the same area.  But I will often move to different areas and when I used to find keepers pretty regularly you would find them in packs with very few small fish.  Its getting rarer and rarer I find those pods of fish any more though.  Its starting to become similar to your description grind away and keep fishing and you might eventually luck into a big fish.  My patterns certainly have not worked well this year so far.

19 hours ago, stormy monday said:

bringing blues into casting range with a hookless plug on a surf rod can be fun.

Tried this for the first time at an inlet this spring.  Our timing and my casting into the wind wasn’t good enough but the teamwork aspect and watching the blow ups was a tone of fun.  Can’t wait to try again when the gators come back through.

24 mins ago, ferret said:

i have yet to pick up a fly rod, also I just sold my boat, on other hand the nj tuna bite has been the best in decades, smaller fish but big numbers, unfortunately none of my rides will let me bring a fly rod

Are you moving back to MA?  Or just got rid of the boat?

This spring was pretty dismal for me, got into some stripers from the kayak, but not nearly as many as last year.  I didn't fish the salt until mid-May, and even then, only went down once every week or two...so I can't say I'm putting in a ton of time.  I plan on doing some more freshwater stuff this summer/fall.  I'd like to spend more time on the Susquehanna fishing for smallmouth...maybe do an overnight trip with the kayak and cover more water.