stripedbassjeff

Help getting into bass fishing again. Questions about gear!

9 posts in this topic

Wanted to know what poles, reels and line I need and what lures to through with it. I thought I needed a 1/8 to 3/8 once a 3/16 to 5/8 and 1/4 to 3/4. I got a lews fire carbon rod and reel 6' 10" 2000 class reel and 10 pound power pro. #2 I got a saint croix avid 6'6" 1/4 to 3/4 with a ltxh2500  diawa regal 30 pound power pro. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you are just starting out, the combos you have will suffice. No need to spend a lot of moneyand then find out you don't like it. I am a jig guy so I use 1/8- 1/4 oz jigs with a Paca Chunk trailer. To round things off maybe a 1/2 oz rattle trap a topwater bait and a couple of mud depth crank baits. That will cover all the water in 10 feet or less.

Edited by Cadman T

Not new too bass fishing just trying too fine tune things is all. Used to just buy whatever combo was on sale at walmart. Like a Mitchell combo. Never thought largemouth deserved more. Turned mainly into a striper fisherman in my late 20s. Quickly forgot about largemouth. Want to get back into it but want a few good combos. Bought the lews for smallmouth. Got the saint croix on sale for 120.00 couldn't pass it up. Figured while I was at it might as well put a collection together.

The good thing is you can start with the Walmart stuff, then sell and upgrade as you get more into freshwater. I recently sold my $100 combo to a young man just getting into the sport. I had it for 7 years! A high quality medium fast and medium heavy fast casting will cover a lot of techniques for you. 

Edited by MAGA

There are a pair of Dobyns Gury rods for sale in the BST for a good price. They are a fantastic “all around” rod that would cover most techniques and baits. 

9 hours ago, Matt7082 said:

There are a pair of Dobyns Gury rods for sale in the BST for a good price. They are a fantastic “all around” rod that would cover most techniques and baits. 

Dobyn Fury, I picked one up two weeks ago and I agree, it is a great rod for the money.

On 7/9/2020 at 7:55 PM, stripedbassjeff said:

Not new too bass fishing just trying too fine tune things is all. Used to just buy whatever combo was on sale at walmart. Like a Mitchell combo. Never thought largemouth deserved more. Turned mainly into a striper fisherman in my late 20s. Quickly forgot about largemouth. Want to get back into it but want a few good combos. Bought the lews for smallmouth. Got the saint croix on sale for 120.00 couldn't pass it up. Figured while I was at it might as well put a collection together.

Bass still don't deserve more.

That is why I use my walleye gear for bass rather then buy actual bass gear. Turns out my walleye gear is inshore saltwater gear primarily.:D

You are on the right track though, start out by covering your lure weights.

I have a rod for...

1/8oz to 3/8oz

1/4oz to 3/4oz

1/2oz to 2oz

All are fast action and can cover a multitude of different presentations.

The rods are all 8ft except the heaviest rod which is 8ft 8in. All rod are fast action too.

Edited by Beastly Backlash