JimKu

Landing fish from rock jetty. Tips or Products?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

When I select a fishing spot I always think about how I am going to land a fish if I catch one. But sometime when I'm on a jetty or rock getting down to the water level to actually grab the fish is dangerous even with spikes. 

I was wondering if there was a product or technique that could be used to grab the fish instead of pulling it up by the line. I intend to release the fish. Most fish I'm dealing with are on the small size 5 to 15lbs.

I have a telescopic net that I've used but it is a little cumbersome to try and net the fish from a distance. The lure also gets tangled in the net. It did work though.

I'm thinking something like a telescopic fish grip pole. I know trying to get something in a fishes mouth from 6' away may not be easy.

Maybe something to grab the lure or hook? Maybe something to take the hook out from a distance?

My extendable net has silicone/plastic netting that the hook never gets really stuck in like the other types of net. It also seems like the fish don't get tangled in them when they do their rolling around thing. I can't really reach the water with my net so I try to swing-net them before they hit the hard surface. It usually works. 

When I was a kid and striped bass actually existed and were in my inlet, the old guys used to gaff the lip to bring them up. It seems harsh but it was easier on the big ones than crashing into the mussels on the rocks and flopping around. Other old heads used a snag treble and a rope which didnt seem right to me ever. 

There are a few tools and techniques that Ive seen used on treacherous or high up jetties.

Tools:

A long broomstick with mult loops of heavy duty mono coming off the tip. Shrink wrap the mono onto the pole. Use the multiple mono loops to try and snag the hooks on the plug. 

Gaff used to lip the fish (preferred method if blues are around)

Net with long handle. Best for fish but the net will not last long due to the barnacles. If we have a net on the jetty it is saved for the fish that we cannot leader.

Tehcniques:

Pick a spot with a slot/landing spot

Walk your fish to calmer water or a better landing spot (have an area picked out on each side of the jetty)

Lengthen and strengthen your leader

I leader 90% of my fish which usually does the trick but im checking my 50# leader after every cast for abrasion and stretch. There have been times that i've dropped some really nice fish at the rocks because it wasnt safe at that moment or the leader snapped while dragging a fish up. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you can walk off the jetty back onto the beach and beach the fish and then release it . Beaching a fish is the most humane method of dealing with it..

Edited by sytheteacher

Pick your landing spot before hand, use

long heavy leaders and short stout rods. 

A 5-6 ft gaff with a smallish hook setup to carry on your back. Find some way to keep it on your person or extremely close by. 
While you can haul small fish onto the jetty with the right rod, if they come free of the hook they will usually slip between the rocks and most likely die. On the jetties I use barbed hooks for the reason. You can always run with single hook lures like jigs but keep your barbs.

Old method used on R.I. jettys to land large fish was a section of heavy soft rope.  Tie loop on one end.  Climb down to fish, place tag end of rope through gill cover then through loop on other end. Basically it become a stringer.  Climb back up and pull fish up.  Of course this was used when we kept fish.  Easier with two people but some did this solo rather than walk a few hundred yards back to beach.  

It's all about a landing rock close to the water in the stage of the tide your fishing. A decent length mono or floro leader is also a must. So is some sort of boga if your plug fishing.

At one time I would lip gaff fish with a 5' small hook gaff. Often wonder about all their mortality?

I haven't intentionally taken a fish for the table in a couple years.

Anymore there's a handful of spots i fish that unless your gonna gaff a fish on a later stage of outgoing. Your not going to land it.

I dont fish those rock piles much in that stage of the tide anymore.

Edited by Haycreekrambler

Have a system once you have the fish close at hand.  Most better fish are lost within 10 feet of the angler while an angler wrestles with a rod, a fish, surge and slippery rocks.

Pick a route down to the water where you plan to navigate your fish, pick a rock you intend on landing a fish on, then plan your landing sequence once a fish is within 10'.  

In one motion using the rod, leverage the fish toward you while extending the forearm of your opposing arm.  Continue leveraging the fish toward you with a high rod tip  (keeping steady movement toward you), until the mono leader slides toward you at which time you wrap your extended forearm quickly around the available mono, fish at your feet, grip the mono to secure it on your forearm and walk the fish up the rocks.  See my avatar for reference.....

Grabbing the mono alone will result in slippage or deeply cut fingers, wrapping the forearm in a quick motion disperses pressure benefiting the line and your hands.

Dont fish anything under 65lb mono 

Edited by DeepBlue85

I think the most important thing is to scope out a good landing spot. If you can't find one you're comfortable with in the situation present, fish elsewhere. A big fish on the line and no where safe to land it will likely result in one taking risks they probably shouldn't be.

1 hour ago, pakalolo said:

My jetty today is a 11’ Lami MH with 8” cut off the tip , can swing fish to 10 lbs easily. 

That's an effing meatstick.....