thordic

NC Newbie

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I'll be down in the Kitty Hawk area for the next week or so, and never fished OBX before.  Seems like the best targets from the surf are whiting and spanish mackerel (Not looking to go for drum on this trip, so didn't even look into them).

Any recommendations on gear?  Most of my tackle is for blues, fluke, and bass so I'll need to stop at a shop down there and pick some up.  I'll talk to the tackle shop guy as well but you can never get too much advise.  

I already got my short-term license - I was planning on likely using two poles, one with bait and one with a lure.  I didn't see anywhere if there was a pole limit, I know different states have different regs.  I'll be fine going with one pole but deadsticking gets boring :)

Thanks in advance!

Stop in TWs and Oceans East both can help you out. A lot of the surf fishing there is bait with the exception of metals like stingsilvers or gotchas on fast retrieve reels for spanish. Check the local fishing reports. There have been a lot of pompano in the surf (loving the sandfleas) and a lot of trout in the sound on both bait and jig heads.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

i have a lot of luck with a simple high low rig. #2 circle hooks, just enough weight to hold...

shrimp and or fish bites (pink/orange) -the free sand fleas beneath your feet work well too!.

or lure: 1/4 oz lead head with a rubber body.

You should find mullet, blues, spot, croaker, speckled trout, a little early for pomp.

Fish are usually close in here so no need to throw your shoulder out casting for the moon.

Works for me, your mileage may vary!

If you work the sound  further north (southern shores, duck) remember-fresh water license.

Edited by Cephalopholis

being a casual fisherman, I hate to say it but some of my best days in the middle of the summer has been using that "fishbites" fishin strips stuff that looks like gum. 

sandflee and shrimp

1 hour ago, towpro said:

being a casual fisherman, I hate to say it but some of my best days in the middle of the summer has been using that "fishbites" fishin strips stuff that looks like gum. 

sandflee and shrimp

Whatever works, works.  Gulp is commonly used for fluke up here.

Went to TWs for some gear, but skunked today on shrimp and sand fleas.  Nothing really biting.  

On the plus side, my 9 year old nephew is a great sand flea catcher.   Had plenty of bait today :). You guys have more sand fleas than I've ever seen up north. 

During the late spring and summer there can be spanish mackerel around and that is entirely a cast and retrieve fish.  Of course blues can be had on hopkins and stingsilvers, etc.  When they're in season flounder are caught on lures in the surf.  In the earlier spring and fall when the big drum are around fishing is primarily very stout 12' heavers tossing the proverbial "8 and bait."