pogie_boy

blue crabbin report

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Well since I've had practically zero luck in the few times I've been out for stripers I've decided to focus my leisure time in other areas.

Last night a buddy and I filled up a bucket with blue crabs in about an hour and a half (including kayaking to the spot) up in a river in SEMASS.

Tide was incoming and wind made the water murky quick.   Luckily once the tide got up a bit they started hanging out up on the grass on the banks instead of skulking on the bottom.  Otherwise in most spots it was too murky to see anything in the water.

note:  need to get some diving boots.  Teva's are not the right equipment for muddy, pebble and stick filled waters.

28 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

Well since I've had practically zero luck in the few times I've been out for stripers I've decided to focus my leisure time in other areas.

Last night a buddy and I filled up a bucket with blue crabs in about an hour and a half (including kayaking to the spot) up in a river in SEMASS.

Tide was incoming and wind made the water murky quick.   Luckily once the tide got up a bit they started hanging out up on the grass on the banks instead of skulking on the bottom.  Otherwise in most spots it was too murky to see anything in the water.

note:  need to get some diving boots.  Teva's are not the right equipment for muddy, pebble and stick filled waters.

I’ve thought about doing that before in my kayak but the thought of an angry blue crab in the kayak with me changed my mind. 
What’s your system for measuring them and keeping them away from your legs?

15 mins ago, z-man said:

I’ve thought about doing that before in my kayak but the thought of an angry blue crab in the kayak with me changed my mind. 
What’s your system for measuring them and keeping them away from your legs?

Oh we pull the yaks ashore and walk the edges of the river with nets. Keep the crabs in a bucket.  I guess at high tide some folks will do the chicken leg on a string trick and net them when close.

They WILL grab anything they can to escape and it WILL hurt and draw blood.  There was a softshell in the bucket with a big mean one I got and the big mean one ripped all of the claws and legs off the softshell and a claw off another one.

So far anything that looks close goes back.    I can't imagine trying to stick my hand in the bucket to grab one with my hand to measure it without some serious gloves on.  Maybe some leather work gloves?

23 mins ago, robc22 said:

A summer wetsuit doesn't hurt and is cheap..........

I was just looking at them online.  I have some basspro gift cards to spend and I've been wanting to try wetsuiting and free diving as well.

43 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

I was just looking at them online.  I have some basspro gift cards to spend and I've been wanting to try wetsuiting and free diving as well.

Try your local dive store. I picked up a farmer wetsuit for $20. 

Just now, VitaminDee said:

Try your local dive store. I picked up a farmer wetsuit for $20. 

Whaaaa? Ill ask around, but nobody ever seems to have things in triple-extra-gravy size!

I do it in my kayak and with kids in a canoe with topless traps I have a pair of crab tongs and I made a measuring device out of wood on a stick so u never need to get close they are feisty buggers ! 

I buy all my wetsuits on ebay and I'm a 3xl.........I just got a 6xl for a buddy but it cost 300 bucks.....I usually spend about a buck and a quarter for a 5mm suit plus another 50 for booties