Riverrunt

Trolling with trolling sinkers/ weights

27 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have down riggers,  but this year I decided to try it the old way, before down riggers. Using old fishing polls

And old penn 209 reels,  no line counter 

Reels. Just for fun. I have one reel with 3  colors of

Lead core . Haven't got a fish yet. 

Did some trolling on the Hudson river.

And last fall on schroon lake, schroon has a 140 ft hole that hold lake trout. 

But so far iam just washing off my lures.

Any of you guys have any luck ,trolling 

With trolling weights?

Thinking I mite be trolling to fast,

Years ago I use to catch Lakers on lake champlain, drifting with lead core, in a two foot chop, on the lake, just kill the motor turn the boat sideways, put all the rods off the side of the boat and drift in 90 ft of water.

This is still fun trying to do it the way the old timers, did it.

20200327_114306.jpg

Edited by Riverrunt
More to the story

Thanks, 

I have a 309 penn that is spooled all the way with lead core ., I'll throw that over the side next time, have about 20' leader of clear mono, on the end.

Trolling sinkers make depth control difficult; it's also hard to get lures down a long way just with sinkers.  

Lead core and wire line are both better options.

And if you have downriggers, they're probably the best option of all.  

Or, instead of trolling, find the fish on your depthfinder and then try vertical jigging.  I've done very well jigging lake trout in the Finger Lakes; haven't yet tried it in the Adirondacks.

20 mins ago, CWitek said:

Trolling sinkers make depth control difficult; it's also hard to get lures down a long way just with sinkers.  

Lead core and wire line are both better options.

And if you have downriggers, they're probably the best option of all.  

Or, instead of trolling, find the fish on your depthfinder and then try vertical jigging.  I've done very well jigging lake trout in the Finger Lakes; haven't yet tried it in the Adirondacks.

Thanks for your response,  

I just want to try to boat a couple fish,

The way grandpa had to do it, before down riggers,  it's just the challenge. 

1 hour ago, Riverrunt said:

Thanks for your response,  

I just want to try to boat a couple fish,

The way grandpa had to do it, before down riggers,  it's just the challenge. 

If you stick with sinkers, you're probably better off right after ice-out, when the fish are shallower.  You're just not going to get down 60-100 feet pulling lead ahead of your lures.

When we started fishing for bluefish when they came back to Long Island Sound back in the '60s, we started out with 4 and 6 oz. trolling sinkers, ahead of lead-headed lures, and rarely caught fish.  A good day for us was one or two; the fish were only 30 or so feet down, but we still couldn't get to them.  For us, a good day was one or two fish, while the folks pulling wire line would often get twenty or more in the same place at the same time.  We just couldn't get deep enough with the sinkers.

Trolling for lake trout, you can go slower and use lighter lines than we did, but you also need to get a lot deeper when the water is warm.  So I suspect that you'll need to time your efforts to conform with the cool-water months.

Have you tried divers  used a lot for salmon in the Pacific Northwest, only way very little by themselves and yhey trip on the fish takedown. Dipsy Divers also dive to the side spending out your lures. One of my favorites is the DoelFin diver, has multiple positions for depth control, not much weight added bringing the fish to the boat. Same people that make a planing fin for outboards, or inboard/outboards.

Edited by spoonplugger1

I have a number of dipsy divers, the others you mentioned, don't know about, have to check them out.

Funny you mentioned them, yesterday I Googled, to see who invented the dipsy diver,  and how long ago,  to see if it would be cheating on my part, 

Again, I want to boat a few fish, the way the old timers had to do it. 

Didn't come up with any answers from 

Google?

I think iam going to have to be smarter, about were the fish are, like CWiTek  said, target them when they are in the shallower waters. 

If I happen to boat a fish with my old fiberglass rod, and penn reel,  I will be sure to post a picture for you guys, thanks for all your idea's. 

Edited by Riverrunt
Other thoughts

Sorry for all my rambling on, but this is making my brain work overtime,  

Someone above mentioned jigging for them,  I bet that way was a technique used by a lot of old timers. 

I remember my grandfather having a lot of old ice fishing stuff, when I was just a little kid,  and he explained how they used that gear,up on lake champlain were he came from in Ticonderoga NY.

Iam sure after ice out they would be out there in there wooden boats jigging for fish.

3 hours ago, Riverrunt said:

Sorry for all my rambling on, but this is making my brain work overtime,  

Someone above mentioned jigging for them,  I bet that way was a technique used by a lot of old timers. 

I remember my grandfather having a lot of old ice fishing stuff, when I was just a little kid,  and he explained how they used that gear,up on lake champlain were he came from in Ticonderoga NY.

Iam sure after ice out they would be out there in there wooden boats jigging for fish.

The way I've jigged in the Finger Lakes is to mark fish on the finder--they're usually close to the bottom--drop a swimbait (usually but not always white) on a lead head straight down to the bottom and retrieve it all the way to the surface before dropping again.  The lake trout will chase for quite a way before hitting sometimes.

The old-timers jigged with spoons, Swedish Pimples, etc.  You can still do that, too--a friend got his first lake trout on Lake George  a couple of years ago doing that from a kayak--but it is a different technique.

On 7/9/2020 at 0:44 PM, Riverrunt said:

I have down riggers,  but this year I decided to try it the old way, before down riggers. Using old fishing polls

And old penn 209 reels,  no line counter 

Reels. Just for fun. I have one reel with 3  colors of

Lead core . Haven't got a fish yet. 

Did some trolling on the Hudson river.

And last fall on schroon lake, schroon has a 140 ft hole that hold lake trout. 

But so far iam just washing off my lures.

Any of you guys have any luck ,trolling 

With trolling weights?

Thinking I mite be trolling to fast,

Years ago I use to catch Lakers on lake champlain, drifting with lead core, in a two foot chop, on the lake, just kill the motor turn the boat sideways, put all the rods off the side of the boat and drift in 90 ft of water.

This is still fun trying to do it the way the old timers, did it.

20200327_114306.jpg

you can catch fish troling.

locate fish with fish finder and target 5' to 10' above fish.

if you have non counter reel,you can know exacly where you at.

peel the line one revolution and mesure in feet,

line on reel is on right side,peel the line it go to the left side off reel and come to the right side off the reel,mesure that and now you know how many feet line you release.

up to 60' dept you can use 3 oz inline weight and 6' mono leader,main line braid 30#.

i like 3 oz tha math is simple.releese line divide by 2 is your dept.

example speed 1.5 mph 3 oz inline relese 60' line you are 30' down.

increasing speed you go some up,decreesing speed you go some down.

that is not critical to know exacly how deep we are.for us is importand to catch fish..

you can use dipsy diver to do the same thing.

dipsy 0 seting release line devide by 2 that is your dept.

seting on 1,2,3 you ad 10' to 1,20' to 2,30' to 3.

you can troll with this from 1 mph to 3.5 mph.

i do not mes with wire,you kink that and it brake off you loose all rig.

if you wonet to acomplish same dept you have to relese 300' to 500' wire.

i do not need job i am fishing.