flyangler

Biden Defends Police Funding, and a Month Later, Shifts His View

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So, how bad has the Democrats' private polling on #DefundThePolice been to see Joe going against the prevailing liberal narrative? Again, after be came out against toppling statues. 

Anyone think this could cost Biden support among the far-left of his party? Among younger voters? Among minorities?

On that last one, I think it is EXACTLY the lack of support for defunding police by blacks and Hispanics that have the Dems in a pickle. All the polling I have seen is that the non-white groups are less favorable of defunding than are they white affluent/suburban counterparts, especially for those minorities who live in big or bigger cities. 

Well, wait a minute, a month ago, the above would have been true:

AS CALLS TO DEFUND THE POLICE GROW LOUDER, JOE BIDEN WANTS TO GIVE THEM MORE MONEY

Alice Speri - The Intercept

June 11 2020

AS TENS OF THOUSANDS of Americans have descended into streets for nearly two weeks to protest police violence, they have articulated a clear demand among the calls for justice and accountability: defund the police....

But on Wednesday, presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden, in a striking rejection of the growing movement demanding better use of public dollars, reminded Americans that there is also plenty of money for police coming from the federal government when he called for an additional $300 million in federal incentives “to reinvigorate community policing in our country.”

But what is Joe saying now, a month later, after more internal polling has come to them? A "more nuanced" view? Or one that has at least a modest kowtow to the #DefundThePolice segment of their party?

Biden says some funding should 'absolutely' be redirected from police

Biden also said police forces don’t need surplus military equipment because it makes them look like 'the enemy' in communities

Joe Biden said in an interview Wednesday that some funding should “absolutely” be redirected from police, amid calls from some in his party to "defund the police" in the wake of the protests across the country.

Biden's campaign has said he does not support defunding the police. But in a Now This interview with activist Ady Barkan, the presumptive Democratic nominee said that police forces don’t need surplus military equipment, saying this is what leads them to “become the enemy” in a community.

“But do we agree that we can redirect some of the [police] funding?” Barkan asked Biden.

“Yes, absolutely,” said the former vice president.

-----------

The interview mentioned above was another one where Jill Biden sits at Joe's side, as if she is there to make sure he does not gaffe or otherwise get stuck. Does anyone recall another presidential candidate who needed a chaperone when doing a recorded live interview? Will the Biden campaign insist on Jill being at Joe's side when he/they debate President Trump? 

Edited by tomkaz

Are you claiming that a man who's lost his mind has now changed his mind?

Me thinks that nobody is listening to him.

Hey, have you seen the one where ...

“If you’re calling to report a rape, please press 1. To report a murder, press 2. To report a home invasion, press 3. For all other crimes, leave your name and number and someone will get back to you,” the voice said.

“Our estimated wait time is currently 5 days. Goodbye,”

51 mins ago, Bob fishhead Sproul said:

Are you claiming that a man who's lost his mind has now changed his mind?

Me thinks that nobody is listening to him.

Hey, have you seen the one where ...

“If you’re calling to report a rape, please press 1. To report a murder, press 2. To report a home invasion, press 3. For all other crimes, leave your name and number and someone will get back to you,” the voice said.

“Our estimated wait time is currently 5 days. Goodbye,”

Yes..... very effective ad.

it's a serious issue that needs consideration,

I think it would be refreshing to have a POTUS again that would be willing to change course on an issue......

Trump is so worried about admitting mistakes he plods thru with losing strategies.

FWIW defunding is a horrible description and it makes it too easy to mischaracterize the intent.

1 min ago, fish'nmagician said:

I think it would be refreshing to have a POTUS again that would be willing to change course on an issue......

Trump is so worried about admitting mistakes he plods thru with losing strategies.

FWIW defunding is a horrible description and it makes it too easy to mischaracterize the intent.

Well , what would you call the dismantling of police departments? 

Just now, TFLT said:

He must be delusional.

Anyways.. Biden has grasped the mob mentality to join his movement

All people had to do was hang the tag line “reform the police” and 80% of Americans, and a bipartisan coalition, would have jumped behind it. 

But in typical fashion, they overstepped the moment and missed the issue, and, in doin so, alienated many sane Americans. 

3 mins ago, saltydawg said:

All people had to do was hang the tag line “reform the police” and 80% of Americans, and a bipartisan coalition, would have jumped behind it. 

But in typical fashion, they overstepped the moment and missed the issue, and, in doin so, alienated many sane Americans. 

You are right but the left is going beyond reforms. They are ripping the departments they have control over apart. My former department (NYPD) is now limiting retirements because they can’t keep up. So far this month about 500 cops applied to retire and its only July 9th. In September there will be another 2000 eligible to retire. How do you replace them in this environment. I would hate to be a mayor going to a community council meeting with the residents screaming about manpower issues in the police department. The people that attend these meetings are tax paying citizens that don’t protest and want to live in a safe neighborhood 

1 hour ago, tomkaz said:

So, how bad has the Democrats' private polling on #DefundThePolice been to see Joe going against the prevailing liberal narrative? Again, after be came out against toppling statues. 

Anyone think this could cost Biden support among the far-left of his party? Among younger voters? Among minorities?

On that last one, I think it is EXACTLY the lack of support for defunding police by blacks and Hispanics that have the Dems in a pickle. All the polling I have seen is that the non-white groups are less favorable of defunding than are they white affluent/suburban counterparts, especially for those minorities who live in big or bigger cities. 

Well, wait a minute, a month ago, the above would have been true:

AS CALLS TO DEFUND THE POLICE GROW LOUDER, JOE BIDEN WANTS TO GIVE THEM MORE MONEY

Alice Speri - The Intercept

June 11 2020

AS TENS OF THOUSANDS of Americans have descended into streets for nearly two weeks to protest police violence, they have articulated a clear demand among the calls for justice and accountability: defund the police....

But on Wednesday, presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden, in a striking rejection of the growing movement demanding better use of public dollars, reminded Americans that there is also plenty of money for police coming from the federal government when he called for an additional $300 million in federal incentives “to reinvigorate community policing in our country.”

But what is Joe saying now, a month later, after more internal polling has come to them? A "more nuanced" view? Or one that has at least a modest kowtow to the #DefundThePolice segment of their party?

Biden says some funding should 'absolutely' be redirected from police

Biden also said police forces don’t need surplus military equipment because it makes them look like 'the enemy' in communities

Joe Biden said in an interview Wednesday that some funding should “absolutely” be redirected from police, amid calls from some in his party to "defund the police" in the wake of the protests across the country.

Biden's campaign has said he does not support defunding the police. But in a Now This interview with activist Ady Barkan, the presumptive Democratic nominee said that police forces don’t need surplus military equipment, saying this is what leads them to “become the enemy” in a community.

“But do we agree that we can redirect some of the [police] funding?” Barkan asked Biden.

“Yes, absolutely,” said the former vice president.

-----------

The interview mentioned above was another one where Jill Biden sits at Joe's side, as if she is there to make sure he does not gaffe or otherwise get stuck. Does anyone recall another presidential candidate who needed a chaperone when doing a recorded live interview? Will the Biden campaign insist on Jill being at Joe's side when he/they debate President Trump? 

Warrantless searches during O'boy/Biden administration.

Military weapons in suburban neighborhoods.

1.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

50 mins ago, FishinMortician said:

Yes..... very effective ad.

But not really reality based.......

at some point Republicans need to dial down their emotions and vote based on logic and actual self interest.

"Anyone think this could cost Biden support among the far-left of his party? Among younger voters? Among minorities?"

I'm sure there some "anyones" who would think these things.

Me?  I don't think so.  

2 mins ago, fish'nmagician said:

I dunno,

but that's not what people are pushing for.

That’s the problem! You want reforms and they dismantle. Everyone wants reform for good but they take advantage and institute their visions of what should be. New York City’s crime was bad enough and now with these “reforms” it has been taken to another level. 

58 mins ago, fish'nmagician said:

So you don't think when AOC says "defund the police means defund the police" she isn't serious?

We can find many, many posts from liberal politicians with the same sentiment.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, TFLT said:

Edited by JimBeam
links removed..reposted