Espresso

1st Rod Build

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Finally got around to building and fishing my 1st rod build.  Hooked on a 30# ray during the first outing. 

Blank is a 13' Daiwa Ballistic 33-405B wrapped with KWAG guides.  The red blank literally glows on a sunny day.  Something to admire on a slow day of fishing.

Daiwa-Ballistic-33-405-B-01.jpg

Daiwa-Ballistic-33-405-B-02.jpg

Daiwa-Ballistic-33-405-B-03.jpg

Nice build & I see the Daiwa blank is a 3 pc, a reasonably rare split. The Daiwa site says that blank will shoot 2 - 10 oz - pretty big range.

Spec it out for us looney rod people.

Stay Safe & Sound 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I fish a wide range of rods but I do like the 3 piece Daiwa for their compact breakdown size.  My opinion is the 33-405B is a great 5-6oz rod that can stretch to 8oz if you're not power casting it.  I intend to use it for bay fishing where you don't need 8oz+ to hold.  I also have the 35-405B and it's rated 4-12oz.  Now that's a stout rod that likes 8oz and can handle 10oz in strong currents.  10oz hanging off a 13' rod isn't easy to cast so I only use it when I'm fishing the ocean with rough surf.  The best bait chucking rod I've casted is still the CTS S8 SE1363 5-8oz.  It's 50/50 split so a bit longer than the 3 piece Daiwa but cast 5-6oz like a dream.  These aren't parabolic rods so fighting a fish on a 13' rod is a workout for sure.

Edited by Espresso