north-shore fisha

Cancelling interational travel during Covid

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Booked a trip through expedia back in November to Germany.  Obviously this trip ain't happening.  Airline gave me a voucher which is fine and the private shuttle gave me a full refund.  The hotel however is being douchey.  I emailed them in May and they said "we will have to wait until our government and your government decide in the next weeks."  A few weeks later, no reponse. 

I email them again this morning.  Germany updated their Covid restrictions on July 1 and is not allowing US citizens to enter their country.  I get the same friggin answer from the hotel.  It wasn't an automated reply but the phrase "we will have to wait until..." was given again.

I'm at my wit's end with these tools.  I'm about to call the county.

2 mins ago, Bill163 said:

Call your charge card co

If they ultimately do not issue a refund (or voucher, but I would prefer the refund because they are being douchey) that is what I will do

2 mins ago, fishinambition said:

Tell em youre a muslim, they'll send helicopters.

LOL, not too far from the truth. 

As stated above, get your credit card company involved. Amex is the best for ironing out these types of things, especially if you have a platinum or black card. 

3 mins ago, Wayne Tj said:

LOL, not too far from the truth. 

As stated above, get your credit card company involved. Amex is the best for ironing out these types of things, especially if you have a platinum or black card. 

I used Amex Blue

13 mins ago, north-shore fisha said:

Booked a trip through expedia back in November to Germany.  Obviously this trip ain't happening.  Airline gave me a voucher which is fine and the private shuttle gave me a full refund.  The hotel however is being douchey.  I emailed them in May and they said "we will have to wait until our government and your government decide in the next weeks."  A few weeks later, no reponse. 

I email them again this morning.  Germany updated their Covid restrictions on July 1 and is not allowing US citizens to enter their country.  I get the same friggin answer from the hotel.  It wasn't an automated reply but the phrase "we will have to wait until..." was given again.

I'm at my wit's end with these tools.  I'm about to call the county.

Call the credit card company and have them file a dispute, i had to do it in June, charges dismissed

Agree with getting the credit card company involved.

They will be your best advocate and it appears the hotel is simply hoping you’ll get frustrated and stop calling them.

Credit card companies stand to lose a lot of revenue if they don’t provide excellent customer service. I’m sure they’ll get it resolved to your satisfaction.

Good luck

22 mins ago, north-shore fisha said:

I used Amex Blue

There you go, they’ll be your advocate and bother them until they release the charges or Amex will eat it. 

We had to cancel our Spain trip this summer. We booked Airbnb stays in Sevilla, Madrid, and Barca. Airbnb refunded all our money after our travel dates were included in the restricted travel window. Airline gave us a full refund because our non stop was changed to 2 stop flight and we called to cancel. 

We were very fortunate. 

Keep calling and involve the credit card company.

Don’t give up.