striper821

Stripers foraging at night

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

On 7/9/2020 at 9:46 AM, striper821 said:

I typically have fished for striper during the day but due to work and other commitments around midnight is now the best time for me. I was out last night and saw plenty of action on the neponset River with bass busting what looked like small little rain bait. I threw everything I had at them to no avail.

My question to you folks is what lures/methods do you use at night when the striper are in shallow foraging and picking off smaller baits?

I don't miss fishing during the day. Treble hooks flying to grab pogys....high anxiety...eff that.  Night time mate. You can have that 12-3 am window possibly to yourself. Embrace it.  Work the 9" rigged black sluggo. Wade Moon Island area.  Go everywhere. 

18 hours ago, downset21 said:

I was chasing what I thought were small bass around in the Bass River.  I threw a 007 diamond jig with green tail at them and hooked up with a 25 inch striper.  At this point I was close enough to see that what I though were small(er) bass were pogies.  This was an all around confusing situation as I just assumed the small bass were on small bait.  I threw on a metal lip plug and a variety of other pogie-like baits and didn't get another hit.  Sometimes they don't make sense to me.  

Got to work the metal lips on top for better results or get under them with something else

11 mins ago, bassmaster said:

Got to work the metal lips on top for better results or get under them with something else

Oh yeah.  I had them rolling along the surface.  Threw a bucktail under them too.  Just not my day.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 7/21/2020 at 6:28 PM, The Riddler said:

I don't miss fishing during the day. Treble hooks flying to grab pogys....high anxiety...eff that.  Night time mate. You can have that 12-3 am window possibly to yourself. Embrace it.  Work the 9" rigged black sluggo. Wade Moon Island area.  Go everywhere. 

Thanks for the info, from someone who fishes nearby, but I usually head home around 11ish. Haven't caught anything but schoolies either, looking for my first big fish. I'll have to keep trying and head out a little later and start wandering around a bit, instead of sticking to the same old spot. 

Edited by johnysmoke

Have walked (not waded) Thompson Island with little luck around low tide. Figured the BPD range would make Moon Island off limits. Not so?

On 7/21/2020 at 6:28 PM, The Riddler said:

14 hours ago, MJOS617 said:

Have walked (not waded) Thompson Island with little luck around low tide. Figured the BPD range would make Moon Island off limits. Not so?

Never had a problem parking in the legal areas. A little homework you can find the parking. Have not fished from shore there in 20 years.  Have no idea of there is fish there or not. Walk as far as you can wade.

C5D6F5A7-ACC3-4F0C-AF8F-7848D71A211E.png

Edited by The Riddler

4 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Never had a problem parking in the legal areas. A little homework you can find the parking. Have not fished from shore there in 20 years.  Have no idea of there is fish there or not. Walk as far as you can wade.

C5D6F5A7-ACC3-4F0C-AF8F-7848D71A211E.png

THis was once some of the best bass fishing inside of Boston harbor back in another time then they shut down the road way with a guard in a shack . THings might have changed since they blew up the bridge to long island

If the bass are in close one important thing overlooked by most new night fishermen is to keep your headlamp off.  In close shallow water they are spooky and flashing your light all over the place will send they flying to deeper water.   Once spooked it will take them a long time to return to the shallows.

Edited by clambellies