striper821

Stripers foraging at night

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I typically have fished for striper during the day but due to work and other commitments around midnight is now the best time for me. I was out last night and saw plenty of action on the neponset River with bass busting what looked like small little rain bait. I threw everything I had at them to no avail.

My question to you folks is what lures/methods do you use at night when the striper are in shallow foraging and picking off smaller baits?

Downsize the lure (try metals and smaller plugs) and use teasers as well. 

Also if they are busting on top, try a small spook like a jumping minnow or a popper. 

Warning..   i was at the neponset few days ago and it was just pogies flipping along a shadow edge..   bass usually pop.

But i have seen bass on silversides there. Use slim small lures.   I have seen bass on grass shrimp there. You pretty much sol.  Slim profile lures and small.  Low and slow.

If bass on pogies and making giant noises. Big ol Danny just barely swimming in the cross current. 

Let's all say it together...."Match the Hatch".

Carry a selection of different lures, limited by the overall weight and the size of your tackle bag.

Plugs, poppers, tins and swim baits/plastics are a good start, then vary the size and colors based on your tastes.

1 hour ago, 1ife said:

Warning..   i was at the neponset few days ago and it was just pogies flipping along a shadow edge..   bass usually pop.

But i have seen bass on silversides there. Use slim small lures.   I have seen bass on grass shrimp there. You pretty much sol.  Slim profile lures and small.  Low and slow.

If bass on pogies and making giant noises. Big ol Danny just barely swimming in the cross current. 

I did see some smaller splashes which could have been the pogies but there was definitely some unmistakable striper jumps although they didn’t seem to be all that big.

3 hours ago, bdowning said:

Downsize the lure (try metals and smaller plugs) and use teasers as well. 

Also if they are busting on top, try a small spook like a jumping minnow or a popper. 

Thank you for the reply. Do you think a fly rod would have any luck late at night?

2 hours ago, striper821 said:

Thank you for the reply. Do you think a fly rod would have any luck late at night?

ANY rod would have luck providing the fish are easting, the lures are fished accordingly and you have the knowledge and patience it might take to get the fish to strike.

Remember, you can't always make fish bite, but you can entice them out of curiosity or aggravation. (mostly out of hunger)

When the spearibgvare around I use a 5" spro minnow in smelt color. Same profile and color. Small bucktails with a trailer work. Wild eye sand eel in3.5 inch. Use a light tackle rod. If you run into a bruiser, it will be a fight your never forget.

Striped Bass will always forage during the stealth time , They seem to lie on the bottom beginning when the weather temp get on the warmer side. Also if they do find feed during the day time they will sit on the bottom digested it in a cooler place of some structure. I have seen them sitting in shallow depressions on the beach at times, along side a stone jetty, or under a pier floating or non floating, after obtaining a little chow. The Neponset river has a real nice depression in it where it you locate can be a very good place to entice one to hit. The Neponset River is not as shallow as you might think and has plenty of depth to hold fish day or night . Experiment with what you use and where you fish in the river system. In years past I have taken plenty of nice fish from these waters and for those who find the holes fish up to 50 pounds have been known to be taken at night trolling. 

The Canal also has similar such locations , but you will need to find them as well . It can be posted that those who know where they are after putting in the time will undoubtedly have better nights then most. Some of these same location also will at time take fish by trying something different like eel skins in the middle of the day . Under the present legal situation most of these fish would be illegal to keep as they would be larger than the 35 inches you are allowed to keep presently. 

Two interesting experiences last week in totally different spots.  First was a huge school of pogies on the surface and the second time my initial thought was pogies again, but it turned out to be fat stripers all 24-27.5 inches.  On first sight both appeared very similar.  

I was chasing what I thought were small bass around in the Bass River.  I threw a 007 diamond jig with green tail at them and hooked up with a 25 inch striper.  At this point I was close enough to see that what I though were small(er) bass were pogies.  This was an all around confusing situation as I just assumed the small bass were on small bait.  I threw on a metal lip plug and a variety of other pogie-like baits and didn't get another hit.  Sometimes they don't make sense to me.