Eating Fish from the Long Island Sound

Rate this topic

A Roj

7 hours ago, A Roj said:

I practice sustainability by abiding by the DEC regulations for fish size and possession limits, which is 28-35'' and no more than one in possession (which amounts to no more than a few since, as I mentioned, I just recently began spearfishing). Also, spearing for stripers isn't a daily thing for me.

The principle error in your reckoning is that you let other people (government) define right and wrong for you. Just because the law says you can kill **** doesn’t mean you should.  Maybe if people killed what they ate instead of what they’re “allowed” to we wouldn’t need such strict regulations on everything. Common sense just isn’t that common anymore. 

1 hour ago, Jim A. said:

Stripers should be a sport fish.   Simple.  Want to eat fish. Go buy a pound a haddock.  

Haddock stocks are in much worse shape than bass stocks. 

"Depend not on fortune, but on conduct."

42 mins ago, Two Rock said:

The first rule of fishing or hunting is don’t kill it unless your going to eat it, that is not moral high ground whatsoever...

@Two Rock That is just flat out wrong.

Some species (like red tailed deer on Long Island and upstate New York, feral hogs in Texas and Hawaii, Pythons in Florida, etc.)  are either invasive and/or over populating, eating all the food and out-competing other native species, which can be DISASTROUS for the eco-system. This means that if we do not do anything, the natural stability of an area will collapse, and there will be nothing to hunt for, or worse, the food would be rendered non-edible due to disease, poor diet, etc. (just look at CWD in deer in the Minnesota region).

Most states control their big game populations. The deer are so bad on Long Island that they really impacted the wild rabbit population, and deer season was open year round by the DEC. Wild rabbit is one of the sought after meals for red fox here, and if you are a Long Islander you would know that they almost disappeared, besides in some protected parks and in eastern LI.

So, yeah, thats a moral thing many people are dealing with, because they believe it is a "waste."

I understand fish and clam stocks are very vulnerable, but heck i see so many people catching tons of striped bass a year, why do i have to miss out on the fun? One thing I would mention though, is that striped bass play a big role in controlling the crab population (fiddlers, etc.) in the NE, which is VERY IMPORTANT to the health of our spartina salt marshes. The salt marshes is literally what produces the abundance of sea life and biodiversity from the LI sound up to New Brunswick.

2 hours ago, A Roj said:

@Mike Thats an interesting study from the 90's. I would of thought he PCB's would be much higher than today, since they were only banned in 1979. It might just be that with time, the PCB's were distributed through the fish population (just my guess), since the research paper i posted earlier says the contaminants were highest in the hudson area.

Regardless, I am going to keep the next catch i get. I have seen some pretty good recipes on youtube for preparing stripers (one is literally slobbing the whole fillet with mayo and honey, then wrapping it in tin foil and putting it in the oven). I heard the taste is very fishy, so seasoning it as much as possible may be a good idea. By the way, its not that hard to figure out how to use the @ symbol.

1 min ago, A Roj said:

@Two Rock That is just flat out wrong.

Some species (like red tailed deer on Long Island and upstate New York, feral hogs in Texas and Hawaii, Pythons in Florida, etc.)  are either invasive and/or over populating, eating all the food and out-competing other native species, which can be DISASTROUS for the eco-system. This means that if we do not do anything, the natural stability of an area will collapse, and there will be nothing to hunt for, or worse, the food would be rendered non-edible due to disease, poor diet, etc. (just look at CWD in deer in the Minnesota region).

Most states control their big game populations. The deer are so bad on Long Island that they really impacted the wild rabbit population, and deer season was open year round by the DEC. Wild rabbit is one of the sought after meals for red fox here, and if you are a Long Islander you would know that they almost disappeared, besides in some protected parks and in eastern LI.

So, yeah, thats a moral thing many people are dealing with, because they believe it is a "waste."

I understand fish and clam stocks are very vulnerable, but heck i see so many people catching tons of striped bass a year, why do i have to miss out on the fun? One thing I would mention though, is that striped bass play a big role in controlling the crab population (fiddlers, etc.) in the NE, which is VERY IMPORTANT to the health of our spartina salt marshes. The salt marshes is literally what produces the abundance of sea life and biodiversity from the LI sound up to New Brunswick.

F2493A7D-AA94-423A-9240-C6080078A01A.jpeg

8265D56B-1F2E-4FF3-AAF3-B85C3A3357E2.jpeg

DC4925F0-097B-4E51-B4B6-75FABEE8D6AE.jpeg

Red tailed deer on Long Island lol, I’m obviously talking about being a sportsman not hunting or fishing for invasive/overabundant species control can you not see the difference ? You are not attempting to control and over abundant or harmful species by spearing a striper and not eating it, you are being a wasteful person and not a sportsman 

43 mins ago, autonomos said:

The principle error in your reckoning is that you let other people (government) define right and wrong for you. Just because the law says you can kill **** doesn’t mean you should.  Maybe if people killed what they ate instead of what they’re “allowed” to we wouldn’t need such strict regulations on everything. Common sense just isn’t that common anymore. 

@autonomos I really don't even know where to begin here...

No dude, I just buy into the community consensus on how much fish (or game) there is, and what we can do to protect it so we can keep getting it. Obviously, I do not just believe what people tell me, i do my research and use DATA, along with human compassion, to guide my decision making process...

Are you really trying to politicize this hahahhaha.

12 mins ago, Two Rock said:

Red tailed deer on Long Island lol, I’m obviously talking about being a sportsman not hunting or fishing for invasive/overabundant species control can you not see the difference ? You are not attempting to control and over abundant or harmful species by spearing a striper and not eating it, you are being a wasteful person and not a sportsman 

*White tailed deer

I merely just responded to your claim that "The first rule of fishing or hunting is don’t kill it unless your going to eat it, that is not moral high ground whatsoever..."

Make the distinction then instead of a broad claim that is false.

Also, it is only your opinion that I am being a wasteful person.

Honestly, i wasn't even trying to defend what i was doing, but many people came at me so hard lol.

Edited by A Roj

7 mins ago, A Roj said:

@autonomos I really don't even know where to begin here...

No dude, I just buy into the community consensus on how much fish (or game) there is, and what we can do to protect it so we can keep getting it. Obviously, I do not just believe what people tell me, i do my research and use DATA, along with human compassion, to guide my decision making process...

Are you really trying to politicize this hahahhaha.

What's so compassionate about shooting a dink for no reason?

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

4 hours ago, Fishy4335 said:

As long as the fish is caught within slot then why does anybody care what the OP does with it! He can do whatever he wants with it! Its nobodys business but his!

Except for the fact that it’s illegal in hunting and fishing to waste a resource. That’s what wanton waste regulations are for. 

10 mins ago, A Roj said:

*White tailed deer

I merely just responded to your claim that "The first rule of fishing or hunting is don’t kill it unless your going to eat it, that is not moral high ground whatsoever..."

Make the distinction then instead of a broad claim that is false.

I just did, so respond 

5 hours ago, Fishy4335 said:

Tell that to the families who lost significant others to ingesting disinfectant!! 

LOL Darwinism at its finest

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962