jaisont

Surf fishing

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Need y'alls help. I just got a daiwa BG 8000 reel and a 12ft rod. I need help picking out a brand of braid. I will be using this set-up for most of my surf fishing. From pompano to black tip. I'm thinking some where between 40 lb to 50 lb. I want to be able to cast my baits out as far as possible. Structure/rocks are not an issue mostly sand where I'm at. So what brand and what pound of braid would y'all recommend? 

Welcome to SOL! I'm not sure about those species but hopefully someone else will know. Are you fishing in Florida?

I use 30 lb. braid for striper fishing in the Northeast. A nice braid like PowerPro V2 or Berkley X9 will give you some extra distance.

I believe most pompano fishermen use mono line for the stretch. It keeps light sinkers from being constantly pulled loose by wave action. You will probably want a braid for the blacktips. A spare spool should solve that dilemma. Good luck.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thank you for your comments and yes I'm in Florida and getting a spare spool is a great idea! I mostly fish fresh water but over the past years I've been getting into surf fishing. I only get to go a few times a year but it's something I look forward to.

Edited by jaisont

I'm pretty happy with Fireline.  

My gear is a bit lighter than yours so I use lighter line. 14lb for my light rod & 30lb for my heavy rod.  40-50lb sounds ok to me. 

Is that your only rod?  If so, I'd also get something smaller. 

7-8ft rod & 4000ish reel. 10-15lb line.  I love lighter inshore fishing. So I'm a lil bias. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a 7ft rod with a 4000 size reel and 8ft rod with a 6000 size reel. That I use for salt water. The 8 footer was my go to setup but I was having trouble casting to the second trough. I also got spooled last year and it was the worst feeling ever. So I decided to invest in a 12ft rod and a bigger reel with more drag. I've been a mono guy my whole life but decided to give braids a try, just because you're supposed to be able to cast it further. Fireline seems to be a good choice. I've also been looking at sufix 832.

Edited by jaisont

18 hours ago, jaisont said:

Need y'alls help. I just got a daiwa BG 8000 reel and a 12ft rod. I need help picking out a brand of braid. I will be using this set-up for most of my surf fishing. From pompano to black tip. I'm thinking some where between 40 lb to 50 lb. I want to be able to cast my baits out as far as possible. Structure/rocks are not an issue mostly sand where I'm at. So what brand and what pound of braid would y'all recommend? 

How far out are you casting for pompano?  Most of them are in the first gut. They eat sand fleas, ghost shrimp, and small clams like coquina.  These are found right off the beach.  When a wave comes in, it will push the sand fleas out, and they will swim, and then burrow in again, but usually close to the breaking waves near shore. 

For Black Tip, I think your good to go, and I would use 50lb (I have one set up with 80lb braid) although some guys on this site say they use 20lb. On an 8000 you have more than enough room on the spool for 40 or 50lb.  I use heavier line because I fear 20lb might break if I need to cast 6oz of lead.  Nobody has every really explained to me the ratio of weight of line to weight of line necessary for braid, but for mono a rule of thumb is 1 or 2 oz for every 10lb of line strength.

Back to thinking about the pompano, why not try something smaller? Such as a reel in the 2500 to 4000 size? You could probably get away with a seven foot rod rated to 2 oz if the pompano are nearby. You could use anywhere from 15 to 30lb braid for this kind of set up. Or just use 10-15lb mono. 

For the blank of braid, my favorite is Suffix 832.  If you are going cheap, Sufix Performance or Stealth. My experience with Stealth is that it is ok, but clings and digs in more the spool than Sufix.