Patrick9915

Did someone say "Darter"?

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

Can't remember who suggested I try to tackle a darter next but I decided to give it a go.  Since everything has been so damp, I haven't had a chance to smooth out the Super Spook I printed a little while ago.  Bondo gives off some noxious fumes so it's an outdoor project. 

 

Darters are extremely complex.  I have had to do this design probably 3 or 4 times before I got something that I liked and even then, no guarantees it will track like it's supposed to track.

 

This is my model based off of a Super Strike Zig-Zag.  The first image is the basic shape with contour lines.  The second one is after I applied a smoothing modifier.  The third is with the application of the mirror modifier.  I still need to do some work.  Working on my crease lines so the modifier doesn't delete the sharp edges that make a darter a darter but not so sharp that water doesn't flow over them.  I also didn't put wire loops on this one.  I think I am going to make holes where I want to put them and then glue them in after I do the bondo treatment.  On the spook, I didn't think about how I would sand around the wire loops which may become tedious.  

Darter-zigzag.PNG

Darter-zigzag-smooth.PNG

Darter-zigzag-smooth-mirror.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you copying a superstrike darter or are you making your own darter? Creating a brand new darter is quite a task. I've helped a couple folks with ideas and prototype testing over the years...darters are tricky from scratch :eek: 

 

TimS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, TimS said:

Are you copying a superstrike darter or are you making your own darter? Creating a brand new darter is quite a task. I've helped a couple folks with ideas and prototype testing over the years...darters are tricky from scratch :eek: 

 

TimS

Right now, I am copying the design and then tinkering with it to get what I want to throw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, Bernie12 said:

whats the flaw? no eye?

The flaw is, how am I going to cast the thru-wire while getting the swivel in place?

 

What I think I'm going to have to do is cast it in two pieces and glue it together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patrick9915 said:

The flaw is, how am I going to cast the thru-wire while getting the swivel in place?

 

What I think I'm going to have to do is cast it in two pieces and glue it together.

are you going to use wire that wont bend (when the center hook is hit)?  if using normal thru-wire then

if possible (if you can make a whole one/ no glue)make the center where the swivel is placed a block ( the thru-wire will need support , otherwise it will bend) send the swivel up followed by epoxy to seal the thru wire holes

Edited by Bernie12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patrick9915 said:

Right now, I am copying the design and then tinkering with it to get what I want to throw.

Wouldn't it be easier to buy one? Tinkering with different hook configurations to get it to swim like you want is less hassle :)

 

TimS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 mins ago, TimS said:

Wouldn't it be easier to buy one? Tinkering with different hook configurations to get it to swim like you want is less hassle :)

 

TimS

I own a few of them.  What I am doing is tweaking the design and making it more of my own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arent you kinda doing this all backwards?  Like, shouldnt you guess/test/tinker/test/tinker... until you find something that swims the way you want then 3d print a blank, make a mold, etc.?

 

Darters are hard enough to get right when you're working with a wooden prototype that you can carve, shave, add or remove weight from.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, EBHarvey said:

Arent you kinda doing this all backwards?  Like, shouldnt you guess/test/tinker/test/tinker... until you find something that swims the way you want then 3d print a blank, make a mold, etc.?

 

Darters are hard enough to get right when you're working with a wooden prototype that you can carve, shave, add or remove weight from.....

You dont know what the hell you are talking about sugar tits! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, EBHarvey said:

Arent you kinda doing this all backwards?  Like, shouldnt you guess/test/tinker/test/tinker... until you find something that swims the way you want then 3d print a blank, make a mold, etc.?

 

Darters are hard enough to get right when you're working with a wooden prototype that you can carve, shave, add or remove weight from.....

How are the two different?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.