bob_G

Rumor has it

Rate this topic

84 posts in this topic

14 mins ago, bob_G said:

Kevin,

I wanted to see some cretin poacher jump on a bike and make a run for it.  Over 100 yards that guy wouldn't have stood a chance.   Talk about a canal video moment. 

A you tube moment of a lifetime. I would play it forever. I kind of wish you did not mention it. It will be playing in my mind for a long time. Come to think of it I'm glad you did.:point:

11 hours ago, b-ware said:

Vehicle are very hard to seize, they must be titled and owned by the perp. and if they are financed through a bank or other lender the lender holds the title and is the legal owner.

There has got to be a way around this, NH has the right to confiscate vehicles during hunting violations. How do they seize vehicles surrounding drug busts?

Even if there is a lein on a vehicle the burden is on the owner to maintain payments or be subject to repo. I’m not so sure it is that hard to do.  :rav:

The new sport of fishing for poachers seems to be taking off. I haven’t fished the canal in many many years but this new sport has me thinking I may have to visit a few days this summer and join in the fun. I’d love love love to be there for a poacher bust, even better is making the call and watching the hook up 

14 hours ago, Stonesipher said:

There has got to be a way around this, NH has the right to confiscate vehicles during hunting violations. How do they seize vehicles surrounding drug busts?

Even if there is a lein on a vehicle the burden is on the owner to maintain payments or be subject to repo. I’m not so sure it is that hard to do.  :rav:

There has to be some sort of proportionality with the crime, at what point would you confiscate someones 50 K truck or boat ?

If someone sneaks home a fish that's a inch short, or long, do you take the truck ? An extra fish? two ?

Not so easy to figure out in my view.

When it comes right down to it they are just a fish, a reasonable punishment/fine is in order.

1 hour ago, Plug and teaser said:

….

..., a reasonable punishment/fine is in order.

15 mins ago, Kones1 said:

But enough to discourage this stealing 

Ah.....opinions have been voiced and books have been written about this subject, i.e. .....….punishment and deterrence. 

Does punishment deter crime?  Does being tough on crime actually deter crime?  Is punishment the best way to prevent crime?

Without getting into the weeds, there are some in law enforcement and academia that say,  increasing the severity of punishment does little to deter crime. 

I generally agree with that.

41 mins ago, Joe G said:

Ah.....opinions have been voiced and books have been written about this subject, i.e. .....….punishment and deterrence. 

Does punishment deter crime?  Does being tough on crime actually deter crime?  Is punishment the best way to prevent crime?

Without getting into the weeds, there are some in law enforcement and academia that say,  increasing the severity of punishment does little to deter crime. 

I generally agree with that.

Indonesia has the death penalty for drug dealing, as a result thee are very few drug dealers in indonesia and when they catch someone, it usually makes international headlines. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

57 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Indonesia has the death penalty for drug dealing, as a result thee are very few drug dealers in indonesia and when they catch someone, it usually makes international headlines. 

Yep, understood and agree  

My point was directed at recidivism.  Will the criminal when apprehended, convicted, sentenced and then released, likely reoffend.

Edited by Joe G

25 mins ago, Joe G said:

Yep, understood and agree  

My point was directed at recidivism.  Will the criminal when apprehended, convicted, sentenced and then released, likely reoffend.

Recidivism.  There ya go Joe, showing off with those multi syllable words.

33 mins ago, bob_G said:

Recidivism.  There ya go Joe, showing off with those multi syllable words.

Ranks right up there with.......California, Louisiana and Pennsylvania.     ;)

I work in a prison. Reoffenders ? How about 90% or so. This is maxi under 21. The laws today protect the criminals not the tax paying working victim. A victim 2x over as his tax dollars did little to protect him and now the criminal is back out because it ain’t fair  !  Fair ? Fair is coming and after it’s done we would see what we see. No prisoners this time

On 7/9/2020 at 2:06 AM, joe0306 said:

So only a civil citation with multiple illegal fish and one individual blatantly running back to the canal and throwing an illegal fish back in the water? Would like to have seen gear confiscations at minimum. 

The article copied and pasted by FoliFish says that one was taken into custody, and later the term "arrestee" was used. That would be the guy running back and dumping the fish, I think. If MA EPOs have body cams, he's kind of screwed even without the fish as evidence. ;) 

The one issued the citation was ID's in the article as the owner of the car.

6 hours ago, MakoMike said:

uhhhh….death penalty for striped bass poaching.....?