Southcoastphil

Would you donate a book or two for a vet?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I posted this in the General B/S/T forum, because I'd buy or trade for them if need be.  I'm posting here on the chance that someone can help with a donation.

SHORT VERSION:
I'm assembling and donating two kits (one each for saltwater and freshwater) to help a local vet who's had some serious medical issues and is finally feeling better.  In addition to my rods, reels, lures, etc., she'd benefit from more information on two topics: 

• Intro to saltwater fishing--applicable to inshore, in SE MA
  • Intro to freshwater fishing--primarily warmwater (LMB, pickerel, perch, panfish, etc.)

(I could also use some rubber skirts for FW lures to donate, which I'll describe below.)

Details here:

I don’t know if I have books but I have reels and a rod I could send your way depending on what type of fishing.  Please tell me more.

Southcoast Phil, is the vet a fly angler? 

Anyway, PM me your name & address and I'll send you some stuff. No skirts, but books on SW inshore angling, definitely yes.

PM me pls w details, If you want I can give some brand new 15# braid, new hooks, new flouro leader material and a fresh pack of gulp for fluking if that works.  All new in the box.

Real quick look I found a copy of On The Run in really good shape considering how old it is and that I'm not the first owner.

Also a copy of Zeno's first one, The Hunt For Big Stripers. Also great condition.

And, I found one I had forgot about,...

The Ultimate Guide to Surfcasting, by Ron Arra. 

Those last two are actually signed copies, lol.

I've read them all enough times, it's time to move them forward to someone else who hasn't had the chance to absorb the wisdom of some greats. 

If surf fishing is of interest, I have a copy of Striper Pursuit I can send. PM me an address and I can send it out ASAP.

Holy smokes, you guys rock!  

1.  A big THANK YOU to all who've offered to help!!!!!  I certainly did not expect this level of response to my simple request for a couple of books.  (But I should have, given how you've all stepped up so many times to help so many people in the past.)

2.  I'll send my address via PM shortly to all who've requested it.

3.  I could use a pair of pliers for her to use in the salt.  I thought I had some extra needlenose pliers in my workshop, but I don't.  These don't have to be at all snazzy.  (I have a set of right angle hook removers for FW use for her, but they'd rust out in no time in the salt.)

4.  Answers to your questions:

@Ben Lippen, yes, we can use those books!

@C.Robin, I'm positive that I can find a home for your Skinner book.

@FlukUlele, that's a great fit for this vet, especially since I don't have anything like that on hand.

@BrianBM, she's not a fly angler.  (See below for my notes on FFing gear.)  Books will be greatly appreciated.

@Birdsnester, her FW fishing will be primarily local lakes and ponds from shore, which are typical warm-water fisheries (LMB, chain pickerel, perch, sunfish, etc.) and maybe some rivers that hold some SMB.  I have a rod n reel setup on hand for her (7' 2-piece med-light FW rod, Shimano spinning reel that only needs a clean and lube plus line), but that's the last one I have.

Her SW fishing will also be shore-based. Probably dunking bait for scup, BSB, and whatever comes along, and casting for mackerel, blues and (I hope!) stripers.  The only 8' SW rod I have is really a surfcasting stick, so it might be a bit too bulky and heavy for light inshore fishing.  Having said that, I'm certain that she'll appreciate that surf stick even if it isn't "ideal" for inshore.  Same goes for the reel that matches well to that surf stick.

5.  Where I'm at, in general:

I never planned for this to go beyond donating some of my extra stuff and whatever I could scrounge up locally.  If you want to donate, I'll humbly accept your kindness and will do my best to get everything into the hands of folks who need it.  Conversely, if any of you need stuff to donate (especially in SE MA, from RI to Cape Cod) please LMK how I can help via PM.

I began giving away some of my gear several years ago, often for vets & kids, sometimes just for the "halibut", and now including folks in recovery.  (As someone who hasn't touched a drop in over 11 months, I know firsthand the value of support from others.)  Sometimes I'd hit yard sales to buy inexpensive fishing stuff (much of it was junk, but I was able to clean up some of the lures and tackle boxes to donate).

Then some of you donated gear, either via a post here or completely unsolicited by me via PM.  (Thank you again for your donations, guys!  About 1/2 of what you've donated is already in the hands of others.  Some of it will be going to this vet, and I've put aside the rest to donate to others.)

Two weeks ago, I responded to a FB moving sale post to inquire about any tools they might have.  To my surprise, the poster responded to me with a comment about his dad's old fishing gear and that he'd seen some of my donations on FB so he'd put aside all of the tackle for me for free.  Although much of it was shot, I was able to salvage one or two lures, a bunch of sinkers and a tackle box.  I know this doesn't sound like much to most of us but, when combined with gear from other finds, it helps somebody either get started or keep on fishing.

6.  Current donations inventory

Some of the lures are new--Bomber, RI Lures, Striper Mainiac, Northbar, Arbogast, Rapala, unknown (probably Chinese) companies,  Mann's and other rubber companies, SOL builders and garage builders.  Some are used (most of these are lightly used)--SS, Anco, Gibbs, garage builders, etc.  In either case, I make sure that they all have great hooks and split rings (90% get new VMCs and Rosco split rings) and I paint or touch up the paint as needed.  Everything I donate is ready to fish right off and it all looks good.  

It feels very awkward for me to share what I could use to help my donations, but since many of you have asked, I'm putting aside my discomfort. 

To be crystal clear, I do not have anything like a list of people who could use fishing gear right now.  In addition to posting donations (here and on FB) from time to time, I keep an eye out for folks who could use some gear by looking at my local FB pages, talking with recovery counselors, etc.  If you still want to donate, you can rest assured that all donations will be put aside for the use of others.  (OK, I *might* read a book or two before passing it along, so consider yourselves warned of my selfishness.)  

Saltwater'

Lures on hand--Pencils, MLs, wood and plastic poppers, plastic swimmers, some needles and darters, a few bucktails and jigs w/rubber flaptails,  a few tins/spoons.  (I've gotten great results from old metals by cleaning them well and painting them with nail polish, then hitting them with a couple of coats of clear nail polish.)

What I could use more of--Bearing in mind that none of the recipients are advanced anglers, I try to provide lures that are easy to cast and to use--jigs w/rubber, swim shads, spoons/tins, Gulp baits and hooks, plastic swimmers, bottle plugs, pencils n poppers.  (I have everything I need to load plastic swimmers and poppers--Drills, lead shot, syringes, glue, etc.--so I'd be happy to load some swimmers or CC pencils just enough to make them easier for the recipients to cast.)  

Rods/reels--a couple of 10' surf rods, one with a Shakespeare reel (needs new mono or braid, but I have some fresh braid) and one with a 6500 Okuma reel (has good braid on it but will need some backing for better casting); one 9' surf rod n reel (probably needs line, but I'll have to check); one 8' spinning rod; probably a few more rods in the 7'6" range.

What I could use more of--couple of inshore spinning reels (4000-ish size), mono.

Freshwater

Lures on hand--Jitterbugs, Hula Poppers, topwater prop lures, plastic swimmers, swim shads, rubber worms, spoons, buzzbaits.

What I could use more of--Again, keeping with the ideas of easy to cast and to fish--weedless spoons and frogs, small grubtails for the spoons, baitholder style hooks for the worms so I can rig them either Texas or Carolina style (worms range from 4" to 9"), any topwater plugs and plastic swimmers, snap swivels, rubber skirts.

Rods/reels--one 5' ultralight rod w/reel (needs 4# mono); one 6'6" M/MH rod w/baitcasting reel (needs 8 or 10# mono); one old (green w/metal ferrules!) Gladding South Bend 6' ultra soft spinning rod (probably tosses 1/4 to 1 oz very nicely, but I haven't tested that yet); one 8' 6" fast action Fenwick spinning rod (rated 1/2 to 4 oz, but 7/8 to 2 1/2 oz is the real sweet spot); couple of Ugly Stick 6' to 7' baitcasting rods.

What I could use more of--one light spinning reel for the Gladding rod, baitcasting reels for the Ugly Sticks.

Fly Fishing

One 8' soft action fly rod w/5-6 wt reel (needs nothing other than cleaning the reel and cleaning/treating the line)

Could use some basic flies--streamers, muddler minnows, grasshoppers/other terrestrials, adams dry, humpies, Wulffs, all-purpose nymphs, etc. and some leaders or leader material.

Again, many thanks for your generosity.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yer a good man Phil,  doing Gods' good works. 

I'm gonna take the weekend and pack up more than the books.  Reels, lures, etc....

Edited by Ben Lippen

12 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

Yer a good man Phil,  doing Gods' good works. 

I'm gonna take the weekend and pack up more than the books.  Reels, lures, etc....

Dang, are you guys trying to turn me into a fishing gear donation repository????

I have a pair of pliers. Pm me and address.

I suggest writing an appreciation card (Inside the book cover)from each donor if you can. It will go along way.

1 min ago, emptyhook said:

I have a pair of pliers. Pm me and address.

I suggest writing an appreciation card (Inside the book cover)from each donor if you can. It will go along way.

Thanks for the pliers.  PM coming right up.

I love the notion of a card from you donors inside each book!  Would you book givers do that? 

Since I'll soon have wayyyyyy more books than she can use, would you guys consider slipping in a card or piece of notepaper that's not addressed to a specific individual?  You could write whatever you want (things like "Thank you for your service", "I appreciate ... ", "Catch 'em up!", "Have fun!" jump to mind, and I'm sure that you will all have more ideas) and you could mention your service/unit or not, sign it anyway you'd like, or not sign it at all.

thoughts?