fixxer12

Solo Kayaking

16 posts in this topic

Hello all!

New member here.

I've only been kayak fishing for about a month now. I have a few friends I usually go with, but some times it's just impossible to find a partner.

We have a few small creeks close by that are really fun. In these situations, when I can't get anyone to go, what would you recommend? Put in and then paddle up stream a bit? Or just go to a local lake/pond instead, Ha!? I've never really paddled up stream for long distances before, so not quote sure how that'd work out.

Any input for this rookie would be appreciated!

If your confident around water, have the appropriate safety gear, a float plan, spare paddle etc. you should be fine. I get out 60-70x a year on the Hudson river and LI sound, mostly solo.

Wear a pfd, carry a cell phone and paddle upstream....if you can, let someone know when /where you're going

Whenever I go out kayaking I follow a basic plan every time.

I let someone know where I am going and when I expect to be back.

I ALWAYS were a PFD. Our state regs say you need to wear one from 9/15 thru 5/15, but I wear it every time I head out on the water.

Phone in water tight container (or 2 zip-loc bags)

Water to drink on hot days, as well as sun protection (had sun exposure once too often for my liking)

Pocket knife and pliers whatever may come your way, be it fish or tangle...

Since I started fishing on my yak, a couple of years, I have never fished with anyone. I prefer it that way. It’s possibly because I dislike people in general, fishermen in particular and fishermen that kayak wearing buff masks the most.

Seriously though go out, fishing alone is wonderful. No distractions, no sound but the wind and the water and nature. I’m out every day except on the weekends.

I lose myself and the rest of the world recedes to an afterthought on the water. Catching is a bonus.

I love my buff mask...I haven't used it out on the water yet, but I will.

I also fish primarily solo - when I do go out with others, I'm often frustrated because they're out doing their own thing instead of working with me.

Have a plan, tell someone where and when you're going, my wife makes me check in regularly and report my progress, what I'm catching, etc. 

Be super conservative when you're solo, don't be a hero, you don't want to be the next person whose body the coast guard has recovered or has suspended searching for. There will be another day when the fish will be hitting as well and the seas will be calmer.

5 hours ago, icarussound said:

I dislike people in general, fishermen in particular and fishermen that kayak wearing buff masks the most.

:point:

I'll give a "buff pass" to the guys that are out there multiple times a week, skin cancer sucks. I fish alone because I'm always deciding at the last minute, and I don't like getting up before dawn. I know that last makes me an unserious fisherman. I love fluke and porgy because they're not early risers either.

On 7/10/2020 at 0:27 PM, fixxer12 said:

Thanks everyone! From the context of your replies, I’m guessing most of you are lake fishing? 

I primarily fish the James River and it’s tributaries above and below the fall line.
 Some other things that are important to me are lightning/wind forecasts, tides and water level and current flow.

NOAA has river gauges all over the USA. They give a rolling prediction of the water levels that is quite accurate. There is a gauge close to my house and I’ve linked the web page to my phone. It’s a valuable resource 

I always fish alone except when my 2 grand children fish with me. You have to check weather forecasts and keep an eye on the weather. Carry snacks, more water than you need, raingear, an extra paddle, a compass, a gps, communication (cell phone or radio) always wear your life jacket and your buff. Don’t over estimate your ability. Leave enough in the tank to get back if the weather gets unexpectedly snotty. Let someone know where you are going and check in when you are done paddling. If tides or surf landings are involved use extra caution. I’m sure I’ve missed some things I hope others weigh in to complete the list. Have fun, good luck.

1 hour ago, tristate said:

I always fish alone except when my 2 grand children fish with me. You have to check weather forecasts and keep an eye on the weather. Carry snacks, more water than you need, raingear, an extra paddle, a compass, a gps, communication (cell phone or radio) always wear your life jacket and your buff. Don’t over estimate your ability. Leave enough in the tank to get back if the weather gets unexpectedly snotty. Let someone know where you are going and check in when you are done paddling. If tides or surf landings are involved use extra caution. I’m sure I’ve missed some things I hope others weigh in to complete the list. Have fun, good luck.

You've missed very little, and all of that applies even when with others! Just for completeness, always paddle into the wind or current so you can ride it back. Tide is tricky, especially if you stay out longer or shorter than you planned and get the current against you. Some places it matters little, others it means you're just not getting back to your launch.

some people are very ugly - buff away!

One of the reasons I kayak fish is to fish alone. If there is someone else that wants to go, I'm cool with that but I never go out of my way to team up. If and when I do, I just take my boat. 

For safety, if you are going to put yourself at any level of risk, have a float plan.

Also, stay away from the shark fish. They like you fishing alone too. :) 

On 7/10/2020 at 2:28 PM, ermghoti said:

I explode into flames in indirect sunlight, so my buff mask and I fart in your general direction.

Hear hear! Skin cancer sucks.

One more piece of advice i have not seen posted.  When fishing solo it is important to know you can self rescue, if necessary.  This means if you were to capsize in water to deep to touch bottom, that you are capable of flipping the boat back over and reentering the yak.  I recommend practicing this without any gear in the yak, so you know what to do in an emergency situation.

Team Buff for 10 years and counting.