CTFishingMan

Anyone with a boat looking for a fishing partner during the week?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I've done this 3 years ago, and it seemed to have worked out well.

I currently have a very flexible schedule during the week, so I can fish whenever.

I'm located in SE CT.

 

I'll happily pay for half the gas and half the bait that we use, and clean down the boat when we get back to the dock. I'll also replace any equipment that I lose (I'll buy my own if it becomes a regular thing, right now I only have surf gears).

 

Anyone looking for a fishing buddy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2020 at 3:52 PM, CTFishingMan said:

I've done this 3 years ago, and it seemed to have worked out well.

I currently have a very flexible schedule during the week, so I can fish whenever.

I'm located in SE CT.

 

I'll happily pay for half the gas and half the bait that we use, and clean down the boat when we get back to the dock. I'll also replace any equipment that I lose (I'll buy my own if it becomes a regular thing, right now I only have surf gears).

 

Anyone looking for a fishing buddy?

You do know that there is currently a global pandemic that we are trying to control. 

Not only that, your offer to buy 1/2 the gas isn’t all that generous. You do realize there are a lot of other expenses in running a boat besides gas. Just saying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 mins ago, fishoninct said:

You do know that there is currently a global pandemic that we are trying to control. 

Not only that, your offer to buy 1/2 the gas isn’t all that generous. You do realize there are a lot of other expenses in running a boat besides gas. Just saying. 

I get the pandemic part, but my baby is going into the shop within a week or two for roughly $3k worth of work. So if I add the gas to that, should I ask a fishing partner for $1500?

It's your boat. Absorb the expenses. Most guys that come aboard mine offer to pay for gas, bait, etc. I never ask I'm not a man of means either. If you have to ask others to cover the expense of owning a boat, maybe you shouldn't own one.

Remember the couple of sayings. Bust Out Another Thousand. Notice with first letter of each word in bold type spells. Then there is the famous...A boat is a big hole in the ocean into which you our a lot of money into.

I knew a guy, actually he was a pretty good friend. He'd go out with his gas tank low, fish all day, then go to the gas dock, or gas station, and completely fill the tank. And believe me, a 25 SeaRay takes a lot of fuel. Then ask everybody if they had money for gas. Eventually nobody would fish with him because the guys got tired of paying for his fuel so he could fish and run his boat all week,

He sold the boat,

Don't be that guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, when I take friends out fishing they pay the whole tab for fuel, bring all the bait and often bring food for me. OTOH my boat is diesel so fuel isn't nearly as much as it would be in a gas boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never had a fishing buddy not offer to pay their way but if they’ve done me favors or something like that through the years or it’s someone that may be having a rough time I won’t accept it

Hell. That’s 9 times out of ten. Or I’m usually taking some kid out with me. Can’t squeeze water from a stone 

But I’m hoping that’s making another fisherman for the future. 
Got one kid now that I’m the last few weeks I’ve probably given him a couple hundred dollars of gear. 
Got a text from him this last week with a photo of a LMB saying he caught that on one of my homemade lures.

Thats my pay.

Sometimes it’s not alway about the money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t say that guests should pay boat repairs. 

I take people out very frequently and they have learned to not even offer to pay for gas. I have refused many times already   

I get it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well isn’t it good that you are getting an education? Now you know what to ask a potential fishing buddy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CTFishingMan said:

I wasn't expecting a discussion, I was just looking to make a friend and catch some fish.

I feel your pain, your post seemed reasonable and maybe somebody is looking for company and offers to pay half the fuel cost and clean up after. Seems like the boat fellers either expect you to pay for all the gas, buy them lunch and chip in for repairs or they are insulted and won't take a dime for anything, their vessel, they are El Capitan. 

 

Reminds me of womens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

I feel your pain, your post seemed reasonable and maybe somebody is looking for company and offers to pay half the fuel cost and clean up after. Seems like the boat fellers either expect you to pay for all the gas, buy them lunch and chip in for repairs or they are insulted and won't take a dime for anything, their vessel, they are El Capitan. 

 

Reminds me of womens. 

Sounds like I'm lucky to have a buddy whos good enough to bring me out for sandwiches and sometimes bait and I don't have to give up my left kidney 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

so... it seems to me, if you have a boat and are going out anyway, having someone with you to share the cost, provide some measure of additional safety and willing to clean the boat, is a win=win situation?  if you have a boat, don't want company, and don't need a bit of help with the cost, then go out and have fun by yourself.  no worries!  is someone looking for a blumpkin for coming on board?

Edited by srm413

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I like the idea of having someone along just to shoot the sheet with if the fish ain’t gonna bite. Anything after that is gravy on top 

Heck I can’t even get my son to help me clean the boat after fishing sometimes 

 

CT Fishing Man I’m out of Milford I’m working on getting the battle wagon running again ( leaky oil pan ). If I’m up and running after I pour  some money into the hole in the ocean and you’re headed this way cmon aboard I’m sure we can put something in the cooler. 

and one last thing. No Mayo On My Sandwich!!

 

Edited by The TideRunner
Auto correct wrong word

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2020 at 4:36 PM, CTFishingMan said:

I wasn't expecting a discussion, I was just looking to make a friend and catch some fish.

I can help you with the friend thing .

Catch some fish? That I can’t promise. 
Whenever the skunk was on somehow it was always my fault. 
I can hear the voice of a late fishing buddy still.  “F****n Bob It’s his fault “

LOL

You end up remembering good friends and good times more than the fish you caught.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.