Southcoastphil

Looking for a couple fishing books to help a veteran

31 posts in this topic

SHORT VERSION:
I'm assembling and donating two kits (one each for saltwater and freshwater) to help a local vet who's had some serious medical issues and is finally feeling better.  In addition to my rods, reels, lures, etc., she'd benefit from more information on two topics: 

• Intro to saltwater fishing--applicable to inshore, in SE MA
  • Intro to freshwater fishing--primarily warmwater (LMB, pickerel, perch, panfish, etc.)

(I could also use some rubber skirts for FW lures to donate, which I'll describe below.)

I don't have much money to spend on these gifts, so I'd prefer a trade (plugs, lures, rubber, books, etc. or local carpentry, plumbing, wiring, etc.).

BACKGROUND:

Two days ago I responded to a local post on FB, asking if anyone had any fishing gear to spare.  It was only when I spoke with this person on the phone to get a better handle on what she could use that I learned of her illness and that she'd served for some six years, for she'd not mentioned either one in her request.  I also learned that, since she's recently started feeling much better, she's now imbued with a new found passion for life and wants to enjoy many things that she's never made time for, which includes fishing. 

I've agreed to help her out as much as I can with gear.  I thought I had some introductory books for her in my library, but I've apparently given those away, so I'm looking for one or more books that cover beginner level topics for someone starting to fish in New England's lakes and coastline:

• Different species of fish, where they live, what they eat, when they eat, etc.
  • Overview of rods and reels for various conditions, how to cast, use the drag setting, etc.
  • Types of bait and lures, how to use them, where to get bait
  • Common knots
  • How to release fish safely (for both angler and fish)
  • Rules, regulations, licenses, permits
  • Conservation--Catch and release, etc.

Books can be paperback or hardcover.  Used in good condition is just fine.  Easy to read, well organized and good pics/illustrations are the keys, IMO.  I just did a quick search and books along the lines of these would be ideal:  "Fishing for Dummies", "Saltwater Fishing Made Easy", "Basic Fishing:  A Beginner's Guide", "The Pocket Fishing basics Guide", etc.

CURRENTLY:

(Open to your ideas here, folks.)

I'm now assembling two kits for her, each of which (so far) includes a rod n reel (which I'll strip, then clean/lube/oil and spool with fresh line this week), terminal tackle (hooks, sinkers, bobbers, clips, snap swivels, etc.) for general use and for using bait.  Bearing in mind that the recipient is a novice, I plan to include lures that are easy to use correctly and that (mostly) cover the water column in relatively shallow waters (6-15' or so for SW, 2-10' for FW).

The SW kit looks like plastic swimmers, swim shads, jigs (from 1/2 oz with grubtails to 2 oz or so with white and green mackerel paddletails), BTs, tins, pencils, polaris-style poppers, some "bluefish specials" (pencils, poppers and metals with a single tail hook, with pre-attached wire leaders, for those YEDs!) and maybe a 6" metal lip or two (just because I love MLs), all of which will fit into one or two Plano style boxes. Probably an 8' 2-piece medium rod with an older Penn graphite 5500 or 6500 with 20 or 30# Fireline (because I have some fresh Fireline on hand) or an older Shimano of similar size, perhaps with 20-25# mono (current mono will need to be removed & replaced).

FW kit looks like floating Rebels or Rapalas, a Tiny Torpedo (double-prop on top lure), some crankbaits (lipped and lipless swimmers), weedless spoons (Silver Minnows), a red & white Daredevle and some other small spoons, swim shads, weedless frogs, and a frog Jitterbug.  Along with some large bobbers and a right-angle hook remover, these will fit into a medium sized tackle box. 

(Unfortunately, all of the rubber skirts on my buzzbaits have turned into melted, deformed blobs.  If you have any skirts, I'll install them and include some of those lures for her.)

Rod will be something like a medium light, two piece, 7' matched to a reel spooled with 6# soft mono (because it's forgiving, easy to cast, light enough to cast those Rapalas but not snap with a 2 or 3# LMB, and it's inexpensive).

As always, TIA for your consideration and your feedback.

Be smart, be safe, be kind.

13 mins ago, Crackers said:

Where are you located? I may have a couple of books on knots and saltwater fishing in the northeast.

SE MA.  Halfway between Providence, RI and the Canal.

6 mins ago, hhager23 said:

Most my books are more SE oriented but I will look and see what I have that she could use. PM me your address. 

Thank you!  PM coming right up.

God bless you Phil. 

Im heading to Maine in the morning. I have a few books on fishing ne saltwater. 

I may may have some skirts as well. 

Pm me your address. 

Hi Phil,

How about a handful of jerkbaits and plastics for LMB. I could use to get rid of some.

Mike

Hi Phil , I've got all the fresh water gear you metioned covered man.  Rod, reel, tackle box , ect. Please pm me when you can and we'll get it together ... Thanks, 

Tommy

21 mins ago, GoodWood69 said:

Hi Phil , I've got all the fresh water gear you metioned covered man.  Rod, reel, tackle box , ect. Please pm me when you can and we'll get it together ... Thanks, 

Tommy

Tom,                                                              I also have bags and bags of freshwater Plastics that has never been opened. I would like to donate 8 or 10 of those bags.                                  Mike

Posted (edited) · Report post

I went a little crazy on Spro jigs, so I can send a few with this book if you are still in need of items.

Please send your address.

Thanks for doing this!

book.jpg

Edited by CharlieB
typos

6 hours ago, CharlieB said:

I went a little crazy on Spro jigs, so I can send a few with this book if you are still in need of items.

Please send your address.

Thanks for doing this!

book.jpg

PM sent.  Thank you.