Belmo

Low-Profile Baitcasters

22 posts in this topic

A rather cryptic video appeared on the Penn Youtube channel yesterday, saying that two new low-profile baitcasters would be joining the Penn lineup this year. But there was no information about the reels, nor any photos.

What can you guys on Hunting Park Avenue share with the railbirds here? :D

2 hours ago, Belmo said:

A rather cryptic video appeared on the Penn Youtube channel yesterday, saying that two new low-profile baitcasters would be joining the Penn lineup this year. But there was no information about the reels, nor any photos.

What can you guys on Hunting Park Avenue share with the railbirds here? :D

So that's where the pic that was sent to me today was from....makes sense.

As far as I am able to tell.....It's a penn branded doyo.............ie abu revo.  (doyo is a quality OEM that many use....abu, lews etc.)

Different paint, knobs, ht100 drag washers......

I'd bet it brings the dual abu brake.....a bonus would be the casseted drag stack from the abu as well....with ht100 washers of course.

It being an oem sourced reel isn't a bad thing at all..

Doyo makes a quality product and the revo beast 40 is a kick ass reel....The lexa 400 is bigger and badder....but the revo40 is a sweeter package than the lexa 300...

The tranx 300/400 still win out overall...but lose in the lack of external brake adjustment...

That may change in a few days when shimano announces the curado 300...or so the rumors have said.....

Just now, scoobydoo said:

As far as I am able to tell.....It's a penn branded doyo.............ie abu revo.  (doyo is a quality OEM that many use....abu, lews etc.)

I'd bet it brings the dual abu brake.....a bonus would be the casseted drag stack from the abu as well....with ht100 washers of course.

Doyo makes a quality product and the revo beast 40 is a kick ass reel....The lexa 400 is bigger and badder....but the revo40 is a sweeter package than the lexa 300...

The tranx 300/400 still win out overall...but lose in the lack of external brake adjustment...

That may change in a few days when shimano announces the curado 300...or so the rumors have said.....

I'm interested in the street price. I would like it to be $150 or less, but I'm guessing it will probably be more.

Posted (edited) · Report post

By the way, there is a picture at the very end of this:

Edited by Belmo

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

I was hoping for something more then a rebranded Revo Toro Beast.:(

I guess it really doesn't matter though.

1 hour ago, Belmo said:

I'm interested in the street price. I would like it to be $150 or less, but I'm guessing it will probably be more.

I don't know of any large low pros under $150.

The Max Toro might be the closest.  The Citrix 364 is out of production I believe.

1 min ago, gnarr said:

Any advantage one the surf to a low profile bait caster??

Ergonomics. They are better ergonomically than round baitcast reels. Once you feel one, it's hard to go back to a round reel.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 7/8/2020 at 5:31 PM, Belmo said:

The 200 is $149.95, 300 is $179.99 and the 400 is $199.99

From what I can see they will be on the shelves 7/30

Edited by DerrickT

2 hours ago, DerrickT said:

Screenshot_20200714-180919_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200714-180809_Chrome.jpg

Hmmm, these reels are make in Korea.

Is this from the PENN website [I can't find it there], or a retailer?

Will try to get it corrected.

3 mins ago, Tunanorth said:

Hmmm, these reels are make in Korea.

Is this from the PENN website [I can't find it there], or a retailer?

Will try to get it corrected.

J&H