mybeach

Ballistics-commonly used in crimes?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 mins ago, mybeach said:

These kids being muttered by black people in big cities? 

Do the cops run tests like on tv cop shows?

and what trace it to a gun that Wayne's buddy tosses into the bushes of a train?

Edited by Sandflee

14 mins ago, mybeach said:

For what? they don't have the gun so what tests are you talking about?

MD had a ballistics database that it maintained for this very purpose. It was dismantled after I dont know how many millions of taxpayer dollars and zero crimes solved.

17 mins ago, mybeach said:

Nobody seems bothered by the black on black crime in big cities, it doesn’t even get mentioned on the news except in passing. But they probably save the bullets removed from each victim. This way, in the unlikely case they catch a scumbag with a gun they suspect of murder they can compare the weapon with the bullet.  

4 mins ago, mybeach said:

I don’t know. I’m asking.

is there a mfgr database or anything? Do they test every gun before it leaves the factory?

To my knowledge, no. The G19 i bought came with a spent casing along with a note letting me know that if i shoot someone in MD id better use a black market piece.

The only way ballistics are really useful is if you have the gun itself along with the projectile and/or the casing. The barrell leaves a "fingerprint" on the bullet and the firing pin leaves one on the primer.

9 mins ago, fishinambition said:

MD had a ballistics database that it maintained for this very purpose. It was dismantled after I dont know how many millions of taxpayer dollars and zero crimes solved.

That’s what I meant.

Somehow BCPD, Baltimore city police Department can identify if a gun was used in more than one shooting. It is one way they found out guns were 'rented' out for crimes. But, they need the gun to prove it.

3 mins ago, mybeach said:

That’s what I meant.

There are what are called 'taggants' in the powder too. Little, microscopic nondestructable bits in the gun powder that can id mfg, lot number, and other identifying stuff, like where and when that shell was sold.

Posted (edited) · Report post

29 mins ago, mybeach said:

I don’t know. I’m asking.

is there a mfgr database or anything? Do they test every gun before it leaves the factory?

always thought they did, not likely though

every gun leaves a"fingerprint" marks on casing, postions and depth of primer impact but i think you need "the" gun to compare. which is why if one picked up a casing at a gun range and the criminal replaced his/her's at a crime scene it would likely cause confusion

Edited by Sandflee

2 mins ago, Sandflee said:

always thought they did, not likely though

every gun leaves a"fingerprint" marks on casing, postions and depth of primer impact but i think you need "the" gun to compare. which is why if one picked up a casing at a gun range and the criminal replaced his/her's at a crime scene it would likely cause confusion

In Baltimore, they kept finding the same shell casings at different crimes. Different kinds of crimes, different M.O.s, just different stuff. Come to find out a guy was renting his gun out for a percentage of the take. Pretty entrepreneurial if you ask me, too bad it is highly illegal, but hey.

39 mins ago, TimS said:

Nobody seems bothered by the black on black crime in big cities, it doesn’t even get mentioned on the news except in passing. 

This really bugs me, you could have 100 shootings in a weekend in one city, but one doosh cop in one city changes the world. A doosh cop is not the problem, but the real root cause is just too hard.

53 mins ago, fishinambition said:

To my knowledge, no. The G19 i bought came with a spent casing along with a note letting me know that if i shoot someone in MD id better use a black market piece.

The only way ballistics are really useful is if you have the gun itself along with the projectile and/or the casing. The barrell leaves a "fingerprint" on the bullet and the firing pin leaves one on the primer.

Parts can be swapped out.