gellfex

What to pay a 21 yo college kid with limited experience?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of hiring a old friend of my son's to help me with some of my maintenance and reno stuff for the summer. He'll be a Senior engineering student at Rutgers this fall, he's handy and bright, but just not that experienced. I'll have to be doing a fair bit of training. What's a fair hourly rate? I don't want to be a dick but neither do I want to pay him like he's actually an experienced contractor.

18-22 i would say. given you are friends with the family i would say on the higher end of that. hired painters that i didnt know in college to paint for me and would pay them 16, that was 3-4 years ago

Just now, coolhandfluke said:

we pay 17.50 with no experience and add.50 after 90 days if things are working out.

That seems reasonable and aligns with what @SB59 & @No One Here said. Thanks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’d start him 15 .. then work him to the bone .. if he proves worthy after few months toss him another buck or two .. even a dollar or two raise is always appreciated and usually gets them motivated to work harder .. 

like said he only another set of hands . Carry heavy chit , sweep up , get this tool from truck or that part .. it def makes your day smoother and more efficient with a good helper .. 

wish my company would hire someone worth a dam .. I get kids that are shaky as hell on 8’ ladder when really I need him 20’ up on extension ladders .. but I can’t trust them up there ..  I don’t mind training people but baby sitter I am not and most those kids just slowed things down greatly .. 

the last 2 we had were 20 years younger then me and couldn’t keep up and lazy and not interested in learning . They both didn’t make it 2 months 

Edited by Wire For Fire

34 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

I’d start him 15 .. then work him to the bone .. if he proves worthy after few months toss him another buck or two .. even a dollar or two raise is always appreciated and usually gets them motivated to work harder .. 

like said he only another set of hands . Carry heavy chit , sweep up , get this tool from truck or that part .. it def makes your day smoother and more efficient with a good helper .. 

wish my company would hire someone worth a dam .. I get kids that are shaky as hell on 8’ ladder when really I need him 20’ up on extension ladders .. but I can’t trust them up there ..  I don’t mind training people but baby sitter I am not and most those kids just slowed things down greatly .. 

the last 2 we had were 20 years younger then me and couldn’t keep up and lazy and not interested in learning . They both didn’t make it 2 months 

My problem is I've got too many balls in the air. I need someone I can set up with a job and walk away. Pull up that tile floor, paint that stairwell, scrape and paint those radiators. My son wasn't bad when he was around, but he's on a glacier in Alaska! I assume this kid will be back at school in the fall too, but might be useful till then. We'll see, I heard he was looking for handyman work, could be he just wants some pocket money not a real job. His dad is in the trades, so perhaps there's a good reason he's not working already.

I had a guy a few years ago who lived next door to a property I bought. He worked pretty well for simple stuff but suffered from the Dunning–Kruger effect, he had no idea, or wouldn't tell me, when he didn't know how to do something I asked. He'd just try and bull**** his way through, with comical to disastrous effect. Without telling me he pulled up some crumbling outside stair landing cement and tried to patch it with a random bag of years old sand-mix he found in the basement. Fortunately I caught it and hosed it out before it was irreparable. I finally had to call it quits with him, a couple of years later I hear he's arrested for burglarizing the house across the street, and has a long record. How dumb can a man in his 50s be?  I kinda feel bad, he's willing to work hard, but being a con makes it hard. 

11 mins ago, SB59 said:

Oh yea, if he's an illegal divide by two. Tell him it's for taxes & pocket it.

Ouch! He's Jersey born and bred as are his folks. Pop is something of a stoner/musician housedad who was bummed when his high earning wife made him go back to work when the kids hit high school.

You guys are way generous, but I guess maybe it's a regional thing. 

I start anyone w/out experience @ $10.00 hr. with a promise of a $2.5 - 5.00 an hour bump after the first week and second. You have to show me first,  1 desire,  2 drive, 3  initiative, and 4  honesty. 

1 desire, yer there before me, dressed appropriately, and ya leave yer phone in the vehicle. No phones for laborers. 

2  drive, when ya see me open the truck doors, ask me what is needed to be taken out and where does it go.

3 initiative, If I tell you that we are going to be doing this, over there, and you see that a ladder or two will be needed, look around for the ladders and get ready to set up.

4 honesty, If I ask you, and I will, if you can drive a nail with a hammer,.... Don't lie, because that's when I hand you a 22 0z framer and a handful of tens. Tell you to drive them all into these two 2 x whatevers. 

Fail any one of those four and ya may not get the pay bump. Fail two and ya really wont get hired. 

But that's just me, lol.

6 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

I start anyone w/out experience @ $10.00 hr. with a promise of a $2.5 - 5.00 an hour bump after the first week and second. You have to show me first,  1 desire,  2 drive, 3  initiative, and 4  honesty. 

1 desire, yer there before me, dressed appropriately, and ya leave yer phone in the vehicle. No phones for laborers. 

2  drive, when ya see me open the truck doors, ask me what is needed to be taken out and where does it go.

3 initiative, If I tell you that we are going to be doing this, over there, and you see that a ladder or two will be needed, look around for the ladders and get ready to set up.

4 honesty, If I ask you, and I will, if you can drive a nail with a hammer,.... Don't lie, because that's when I hand you a 22 0z framer and a handful of tens. Tell you to drive them all into these two 2 x whatevers. 

Fail any one of those four and ya may not get the pay bump. Fail two and ya really wont get hired. 

But that's just me, lol.

When’s the last time you work with these kids. You’ll be working alone. When I do find someone with drive, it only last about 2 weeks then they feel they locked in the job.

54 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

But that's just me, lol.

You paying a guy $10 and hour cash at the end of the week, or you putting him on payroll for $10. How many actually show up at that rate?

3 mins ago, mybeach said:

You paying a guy $10 and hour cash at the end of the week, or you putting him on payroll for $10. How many actually show up at that rate?

Ten bucks an hour cash. Ya gotta be somebody to get on the payroll . 

Nobody does cause I gave up looking really. 

I've dealt with "schoolkids" since I was a 16 year old foreman on a horse farm. Every summer they would hire a new crop of kids. 90% morons. Punks with chips on their shoulders, back then many older than me. I was more than glad to bring them down to earth. 

I don't abide nor tolerate slackers. Never have, never will. 

Man,  don't even fing get me going on this.. Not to offend anyone ..  I guess it all depends on what your doing? Im sure there are lots of hard working young adults , with very good aptitude for certain jobs but around here everyone wants everything !! Different circumstances I guess.. Insured,  on books, off, wc ins , 1099? taxes, cash pay? Makes me nuts trying to find good  help..  Pita ..