Gilbey

Car Make/Model Help

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if any of your car enthusiasts might have a suggestion. I'm in the market for a new (used/certified preowned) car. I like my 2015 Volvo R-series wagon. It's quick and nimble and fun to drive, but it's getting up there in miles. I'm looking for a fast, mid-sized sporty sedan or wagon. Ideally I would like; all wheel drive, manual transmission, 4 doors, high performance. I like the wagon style, but a sedan with a modest trunk would not be a deal killer.  I had been looking at BMW 4M which is available with a manual trans, but only rear wheel drive. Audi has some AWD options with manual trans (the RS3 is intriguing). I haven't seen anything domestic, but maybe I am missing something? 

Any ideas? 

Infinity stopped making the G37x in 2015, but it checks all your boxes (other than wagon).  If you can find one with low miles, it's a great car, fast, AWD and a big trunk.  The newer Q50's and 60's are nice cars too.  

4 mins ago, Heron25 said:

VW was making wagons with stick shift and awd up until 2017 or 18 I believe.  Subaru Crosstek is the only other one I can recall.

I've heard good things about the crosstrek too, not sure how fast it is, though. 

Thanks for the replies and ideas. It's frustrating how difficult it is to find a manual transmission. 

Does anyone have experience with the Audi dual clutch? What's that all about? 

I bought a used cetrified Volvo S9 a year and a half ago and think it's great. thirty-six to thirty-seven interstate MPG at 75 mph, huge fold down back seat and handles/accelerates ok (I got the T5 engine (turbo), the T6 (turbo plus supercharger) has a bit more balls and I should have looked for one of those, but c'est la vie). This is the 10th or twelfth Volvo I've had, and I've only had any significant trouble with one of them (a twin turbo, and I think Volvo tried to get a couple of steps above themselves on that one, but it sure was quick). Everything else has been routine maintenance-related stuff.

The post script to this is my wife has had Volvo station wagons or XC90s for 30+ years. Traded the last one in on a VW Atlas. As soon as it's done with yet another mandatory recalls its getting traded for another XC90. Nice car but reliability- and service-wise, VW isn't quite as good as it was supposed to be before they started cheating on their emissions testing/reporting.