Wheeler

Mid-summer fishing charter near SIC?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I'm mostly a surf fisherman, but want to book some sort of charter trip the last week of July. Not sure what would be the best that time of year, or even what all is available? I typically prefer something more hands-on so I'd probably lean towards an in-shore or back bay trip. Is there anything decent around this time of year? Id also consider a guided kayak fishing trip, anyone do anything like that? Or if the off-shore fishing is decent this time of year and we could catch some good eating fish, Id consider that too.

Looking for any recommendations, or even just info on what's around, really. :howdy:

Insomniac guide service (Dan Schafer) will get you on back bay stripers or sheepshead and the occasional fluke. 

He specializes in light tackle fishing using plugs for stripers and jig/crabs for sheepshead. The latter are a gas on light tackle. 

9 mins ago, hookmeup said:

Insomniac guide service (Dan Schafer) will get you on back bay stripers or sheepshead and the occasional fluke. 

He specializes in light tackle fishing using plugs for stripers and jig/crabs for sheepshead. The latter are a gas on light tackle. 

Awesome, thanks! Was hoping for something a little different and this sounds perfect. Any idea what size boat he has or how many people he can take?

He has a flats boat and will take you on one of the most fun rides thru the sod banks. I think he has room for up to 3 but maybe only 2. Give him a call. 

Dan has a video on Tackle Direct website and You tube as well I suspect. Just read in local paper came in second place in local fluke tournament. 

On 7/8/2020 at 3:15 PM, hookmeup said:

He has a flats boat and will take you on one of the most fun rides thru the sod banks. I think he has room for up to 3 but maybe only 2. Give him a call. 

Yeah, his boat holds 3 max. Definitely want to do this sometime, but I’m looking for something for 4-5 anglers for this trip. Anyone have any other recommendations? Would prefer light tackle/in-shore, but would consider a deep sea trip too if we could catch some dinner.

Better off heading offshore IMO. They just did replenishment that whole strip from OC down to Avalon. As a matter of fact they are still pumping sand in N Sea Isle.  Good luck

2 mins ago, SIC34 said:

Better off heading offshore IMO. They just did replenishment that whole strip from OC down to Avalon. As a matter of fact they are still pumping sand in N Sea Isle.  Good luck

Yeah, sounds like mostly fluke or sharks in-shore right now. What are they catching off-shore and any recommendations on charters? Im actually thinking about just renting a little fishing boat and trying for fluke, schoolies, weakies, etc in the back bays.

3 mins ago, Wheeler said:

Yeah, sounds like mostly fluke or sharks in-shore right now. What are they catching off-shore and any recommendations on charters? Im actually thinking about just renting a little fishing boat and trying for fluke, schoolies, weakies, etc in the back bays.

No recommendation for offshore charters, sorry. I've been kayaking the back bays last few weekends and am surprised by the lack of baitfish. Mostly short fluke and kingfish from what I've seen.