BillyD0123

Non resident boating fishing restrictions

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Ugh!

I'll be staying in Portsmouth RI Aug, Sep & Oct right on the Sakonnet river. I intend to trailer my boat from Florida in order to do a boat on trailer storage at a facility TBD with ramp as near as possible. 

Did some reading here and discovered I may not be allowed to fish or boat in RI waters as a non resident. If this is correct bringing my boat is a huge mistake. Yes?

Who knows what the rules will be next week, never mind next month. Queen Gina hasn't decided yet.

Posted (edited) · Report post

as of right now you're fine to fish. All the out of staters have been in my marina using their boats since May 10th. Also if you were worried, just drive 5-10 mins to Fall River and drop your boat in there then you can fish RI waters without issue.

Edited by canalsharpie

1 min ago, canalsharpie said:

as of right now you're fine to fish. All the out of staters have been in my marina using their boats since May 10th.

Looks good? Spoke with the Narragansett Harbor Master and he claims it isnt an issue. Saying half the sailboats on moorings are registered out of Florida anyway. Just got off the phone wifh Safe Harbors @ Sakonnet Maina South yard too. Have my boat & trailer storage all set for Aug, Sep and Oct, using their on site ramp. 

58 mins ago, BillyD0123 said:

Looks good? Spoke with the Narragansett Harbor Master and he claims it isnt an issue. Saying half the sailboats on moorings are registered out of Florida anyway. Just got off the phone wifh Safe Harbors @ Sakonnet Maina South yard too. Have my boat & trailer storage all set for Aug, Sep and Oct, using their on site ramp. 

Yeah unless Gina changes her mind from now to then, you’ll have no issues at all.

How are the RI Cops about open or concealed carry on ones boat? In Frorida its considered safe operating proceedure to keep some personal protection within arms reach?

1 hour ago, BillyD0123 said:

How are the RI Cops about open or concealed carry on ones boat? In Frorida its considered safe operating proceedure to keep some personal protection within arms reach?

If you don’t have a carry permit you’ll wind up in the clink!

3 hours ago, BillyD0123 said:

Of course I do. I'll call and ask the Harbormaster.

Pretty sure he meant a permit to carry in RI

20 hours ago, Joser said:

Pretty sure he meant a permit to carry in RI

That's exactly what I meant. NO RI carry permit go directly to jail, do not pass go and don't collect $200.

4 mins ago, MakoMike said:

That's exactly what I meant. NO RI carry permit go directly to jail, do not pass go and don't collect $200.

Gotcha, I'll bring them to my brothers in South NH. We can go to the range a couple times while I'm up.

I can see if RI doesn't want outsiders at their ramp because of Covid but launching from the Fall River Ramp at Riverside Marina should be ok and fishing RI and MA water.  I hope so!