PSegnatelli

Hook Sharpness and point/edge profile

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Was out yesterday and noticed something with my hooks.  

Backround info.

Retired meatcutter. Love knives in general.   

When I cut meat I was constantly steeling my knives. A sharp knife is necessary. You lose your edge and it brings on more effort, which turns to fatigue = injuries. 

But that constant steeling always turns into a wire edge eventually, a very fine edge that will fold over. It's sharp at first but that sharpness dulls fast.   That wire edge needs to be removed with some honing. Like with a strop.  

My meat knives were either flat or hollow ground edges. 

Now with my woods knives I like a convex edge. Like an axe blade. Holds an edge thru some wicked abuse.  Shaving sharp, but I can hammer it thru a pelvis with no damage to the blade.  

Back to fishing.  I was throwing metal. Bottom was mainly rocks & some gravely sand.  I was mainly on the bottom.  Hanging up here and there. But nothing bad.   

Started the day with NIW VMC inline hooks. And they were sharp. Sharp enough that I dropped a 1oz Kastmaster at my workbench and it stuck in my thigh. 

But within 3 or 4 casts that hook was pretty dull.   

So I'd hit it with my stone. Wash,rinse, repeat.  

I think I'm dealing with a wire edge issue here.   Where I'm getting that point to a needle, fine and sharp. But fragile, and it's bending with little pressure. 

Is there a method that would achieve sharpness & strength? 

I'm trying to envision how to hone a cone to a convex edge.  And I "think" it would be better (easier) to turn that cone into a pyramid. Triangle is the strongest shape right?

Am I on a fool's errand?

blade-bevel-grinds.jpg

Good “points” and topic.  Eventually the points become too thin and fold or blunt easily.  Most likely depending on the structure you’re fishing.  Hell I’ve always felt the hook points on my plugs were dulling in the back of my buggy as I drove the bumpy dirt roads of Block Island.  Always have a file in the buggy. My favorite was always the double round files.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Maybe I should use a file instead of a stone.  

I like the edge a file gives on some blades that will see alot of abuse. I have a modified machete that I use for foraging.  Filed edges are hard for me to describe, like a micro serrated edge. Tough and chews thru roots and stems like mad!

Eta.  This is what I use now.  Blue stone is pretty fine & has a hook groove and is oval shape. 

Made by Victorinox. Relatively inexpensive, lightweight and takes a good dunking. 

swiss_army_knife_2_1200x1200.jpg

Edited by PSegnatelli

2 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Is there a method that would achieve sharpness & strength? 

A hook point is not a knife edge.

Chemically sharpened hooks aside, I have found it best to triangulate the point.

In other words, sharpen on both flat sides a bit then towards the body of the hook at around a 40 degree on the far

side of the hook to form a thin high peak, yet leaving some thickness just below the point.

So you get a very sharp point, that is backed up with some good thickness.

Then touch up  when needed.

I found aluminum lugs (bought at home depot in electrical dept for electrical panels) work great.

I take some 3m wet dry sand paper...roll it up....shove it in the lug and tightent it down..

The aluminum lugs work great at straigthening out folded points...just scrape the point over it...

The sand paper touches it up......

Diamond hone etc as needed

I just took a work sharp to a dozen tuna hooks and swordfish hooks.....put a knife edge on the backside of the point.

Also..think about how many times you were able to touch up a hook...it's a soft steel...not a brittle one...

35 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I found aluminum lugs (bought at home depot in electrical dept for electrical panels) work great.

I take some 3m wet dry sand paper...roll it up....shove it in the lug and tightent it down..

The aluminum lugs work great at straigthening out folded points...just scrape the point over it...

The sand paper touches it up......

Diamond hone etc as needed

I just took a work sharp to a dozen tuna hooks and swordfish hooks.....put a knife edge on the backside of the point.

Also..think about how many times you were able to touch up a hook...it's a soft steel...not a brittle one...

Like this?  Pardon my ignorance, I know squat about electrical. 

square-d-retaining-kits-lk100ancp-64_1000.jpg

2 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Like this?  Pardon my ignorance, I know squat about electrical. 

square-d-retaining-kits-lk100ancp-64_1000.jpg

yup..Not sure if it has the mounting hole off the back or not....but the ones I use do.

that goes on a clip.

1 hour ago, Frede said:

I must bow my head in shame because I've never sharpened a hook in my life lol...

Atleast your honest about it. 

Lots of stuff out there I never done. I've never watched the SuperBowl. 

Probably outdated but I had great success using the Luhre Jensen file and applying a triangular edge pattern.

1 hour ago, Frede said:

I must bow my head in shame because I've never sharpened a hook in my life lol...

i used to do the annual hook sharpening and swapping before each spring. Then I dropped the fish of a lifetime in front of my feet. I saw my3/4oz bucktail in the roof of the fishes mouth and it had not penetrated. I fought that fish in from 100yds with a bucktail pinned to its mouth with pressure. The second I let off the heavy pressure she took one shake and the bucktail slid out. I can see it in slow motion when I close my eyes. I keep a file on my neck lanyard at all times now.

Good next level topic, i'll be following.

I use Smith Diamond Retractable Sharpener to touch up my bucktail hooks and jigs if Im fishing craggy areas. The sharpener has a line groove for hooks, flat surface, and cone tip where you can touch up a knife edge from all angles. It's the size of a pen and very handy to keep on you. 

1.jpg