dghosio

killies

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, dghosio said:

Yes causeway in wantagh has them

Hi! Thanks for responding to my question. Do you know of a cheap way to transport live killies? I was under the assumption that I could just put an oxygen pump inside a bucket. Then again this is saltwater, so I'm confused.  And at causeway, are they sold in bags with pre-filled water? Or do I need to bring in my own transport container? Thanks if you could help.

It's been a while but I used to put them in a bucket with fresh water. I'd use a battery operated air pump and they seemed to do fine. If it was real hot I'd even throw a few ice cubes in the bucket 

29 mins ago, dghosio said:

It's been a while but I used to put them in a bucket with fresh water. I'd use a battery operated air pump and they seemed to do fine. If it was real hot I'd even throw a few ice cubes in the bucket 

Gotcha! So I’m assuming the killies are packaged in a bag by causeway?

Been like 20 years since I bought killies. But yes they will be in a bag with some water . Or you can give them your bucket and they will fill .. but the Lil pump should keep them alive fine . They very hardy 

One thing to be aware of is that they won't live long in the bag--they'll actually survive better on water-soaked seaweed or burlap than  they will in the knotted-closed bag.

Years ago, I forgot to put some bagged killies in water when I left the bait dock.  When I wend to fish, the once puffed-out bag looked almost like it had been partially vacuum-sealed, as the killies took all of the oxygen out of the water, and the volume of the air decreased as (I guess( the oxygen in the air entered the water and then was breathed by the fish.  It was startling to see.  And most of the killies were dead.

A pail or other container with an air pump, as other folks mentioned, is ideal  If you have one of those bait pails that you can drop over the side as you drift, those work well, too, so long as your transit from the bait shop to the water isn't too long.  Killies will survive for a surprisingly long time even in un-aerated water, provided that they aren't overcrowded.  But the closed plastic bag can be deadly.

Killies are amazingly hardy as well as being brackish/fresh water tolerant. We would buy them and bring them on the head boats out of Captree when I was a kid, 

"Quick" story: We lived on Cos Cob Harbor for a decade when my kids were young and they were constantly playing or fishing on the dock. Killie traps and drop nets were their tools for catching bait and whatever else they could find. Killies, peanuts, silversides, grass shrimp, fiddlers, hermit crabs and other critters were always in their buckets (along with seaweed, rocks, shells, etc.) They used one of those big plastic tubs with the rope handles, otherwise used to keep beer cold at parties. Once, in August, they had left that bucket 3/4 filled with water down on the dock with some peanuts, killies and craps in it as we were leaving for vacation.

Two weeks later, we came home and I saw the tub down on the dock, open side up, and asked the boys if they had dumped in out and the silence told me what I needed to know. We walked down together with Dad expecting to deliver a "teachable moment" to our two eldest, 9 and 8 at the time. Expecting to find an oozing mess of fermented fish guts, I was shocked to find that the killies and crabs were still alive while the few peanuts in there had partially dissolved, or so I thought. 

Two weeks, out in the sun, air temps in the 85-90*+ range, and the damned killies were still alive. 

Turns out that the tub was a somewhat self-sustaining ecosystem, at least over the short time. The peanuts had not really dissolved, they were being slowly eaten by the crabs. There had been quite a bit rain while we were gone so the level of water in the tub was still over half full. I was not able to think about oxygen replenishment though there was still green seaweed in there so maybe that was providing the O2. Or the new rain (?).

Anyway, the killies existed in that hot water under compromising conditions for two weeks. Tough little fish. 

22 hours ago, tomkaz said:

We lived on Cos Cob Harbor for a decade when my kids were young

Off topic, but...

Curious when you were in Cos Cob.  I grew up there.  Family always had a boat on the river since the town marina opened in '61.  Moved out in '83.

1 hour ago, CWitek said:

Off topic, but...

Curious when you were in Cos Cob.  I grew up there.  Family always had a boat on the river since the town marina opened in '61.  Moved out in '83.

1994-2004. Sold a very old house one very valuable dirt and moved into backcountry off North Street. Sold that in 2014, rented for a year and then pulled up stakes for Florida.