Wire For Fire

Favorite wood for needles ??

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, bassmaster said:

using ayc,   that is the wood I use, have a 100 or so bodys I need to paint :D

Gladly pay you Tuesday for couple needle blanks today lol 

My preference wold be Alaskan Yellow Cedar.  If you are fortunate enough to rummage through a bunch of it at the lumber yard you'll most likely  find some pieces far more dense (heavier) than others & those are the pieces I like to turn needlefish blanks from.  Mike 

I have a stick of some very dense, hard, brown wood that Sudsy gave me years ago, I made 2 needles with it and they both caught, but they were pretty heavily weighted with an eye towards getting them out into a stiff wind, and dragging a teaser with them.

I generally lean towards using whatever is at hand, the mop handle sounded good to me.

5 hours ago, Ed White said:

I have a stick of some very dense, hard, brown wood that Sudsy gave me years ago, I made 2 needles with it and they both caught, but they were pretty heavily weighted with an eye towards getting them out into a stiff wind, and dragging a teaser with them.

I generally lean towards using whatever is at hand, the mop handle sounded good to me.

That was pre-ban imported Brazilian Rosewood 

FWIW, that wood is going for $100 a raw board foot right now (so you might want to be carefulll if there are bluefish about)

10 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

So hard woods like maple and mahogany are a no go ? I was thinking they would work but seems the ayc is the winner here 

Depends on what you want the lure to do

The lighter the wood the more the float

9 hours ago, Sudsy said:

That was pre-ban imported Brazilian Rosewood 

FWIW, that wood is going for $100 a raw board foot right now (so you might want to be carefulll if there are bluefish about)

I finally  bought a bandsaw that should actually be able to cut the stuff, easily the most exotic piece of wood in my shop. Need to make something nice.