moonbat

Sweden’s ‘Soft’ COVID19 Strategy: An Appraisal

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

This is a far more balanced read than the OP-Ed piece from the NY Times today.  It is long and I will only post a few things here, but it is worth the read.

For those who think Sweden's approach would "work" in this country from both a medical or economic perspective, I doubt it.

https://www.orfonline.org/research/swedens-soft-covid19-strategy-an-appraisal-69291/

Philosophy guiding the strategy

First, Sweden is constitutionally different from many other democracies. For several centuries, the country has had a system of administrative independence, which allows for a unique division of power where governmental agencies are free to take decisions in accordance with scientific advice without political intrusion. The system provides little space for ‘political grandstanding’.

Second, Sweden is a highly trade-dependent country and has suffered hugely on account of other countries closing their borders. Shutting down domestic industry and businesses would have further run down the country’s economy and exacerbated the loss of livelihood.

Third, the Swedish government believed it could achieve the gains of a lockdown without imposing a lockdown. “We have a high trust culture,” Norberg argued. Swedes usually trust the authorities, follow rules set by the authorities even when not implemented by force, and shame those who do not follow advice.

Fourth, the Swedish government believes that the only way to beat the virus in the long term is through immunity. It believes that if the virus moves through the population slowly, Swedes will obtain some sort of immunity as a community in a few months, thereby passing through the stages of lockdown, opening up, virus resurgence and further uncertainty that other countries will experience without having to shut down.

Bolds 1 and 3 would seem to disqualify the US from such a path.

Just now, mitchell master said:

I see Brian is not the only one that got his lib talking points.

Evidently, you can't read and see where I disagreed with him on this in his thread.

Back in your hole

On 7/7/2020 at 8:00 PM, mitchell master said:

I see Brian is not the only one that got his lib talking points.

Yeah, they got their talking points when the DEMedia were seeking to discredit any policy that might sound like something Trump would suggest. See below. 

SWEDEN-GOOGLE-566x600.png

J's chart nicely indicates the benefit of Swedish-style socialized medicine. Far more preventative and diagnostic care, and none of it tied to employment.

For a while, Sweden's immediate neighbors - Finland, Norway, and Denmark - were barring visitors from Sweden because the Swedish death count was so much higher than theirs. Has that been relaxed, or ended?

Sweden is generally a highly educated, homogenous population roughly equivalent to NJ in size in an area roughly the size of Texas.    

I think that should be considered when making comparisons, whether they be to rural america or inner cities.  There's a LOT of variables.

1 hour ago, 55555s said:

Sweden is generally a highly educated, homogenous population roughly equivalent to NJ in size in an area roughly the size of Texas.    

I think that should be considered when making comparisons, whether they be to rural america or inner cities.  There's a LOT of variables.

Yeah.  I wrote in another thread that anyone thinking that Sweden's approach would work here was crazy.

1.  They trust their government

2.  Like it or not they are a healthier lot in part because people can go to the doc with a sniffle rather than wait until full blown carnage as happens in this country.

3.  Their health ministry sets the policy and is free from political reprisals unlike this country.

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

J's chart nicely indicates the benefit of Swedish-style socialized medicine. Far more preventative and diagnostic care, and none of it tied to employment.

It indicates no such thing.

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

For a while, Sweden's immediate neighbors - Finland, Norway, and Denmark - were barring visitors from Sweden because the Swedish death count was so much higher than theirs. Has that been relaxed, or ended?

you do have significant powers... im impressed...

to glean conclusions about socialized medicine from a chart of numbers showing deaths and antibodies

wow

can you tell tomorrows stock prices from it too?

Edited by hamlet

25 mins ago, moonbat said:

Yeah.  I wrote in another thread that anyone thinking that Sweden's approach would work here was crazy.

1.  They trust their government

2.  Like it or not they are a healthier lot in part because people can go to the doc with a sniffle rather than wait until full blown carnage as happens in this country.

3.  Their health ministry sets the policy and is free from political reprisals unlike this country.

History has proven that trusting gov is foolish. 

Do you go to the Dr with a sniffle?  If so, how does that help at all?

Do you know anyone for whom political reprisals has impacted their personal health?

LOL, Its funny, sometimes I almost agree with you on something, and then... Poof.

59 mins ago, hamlet said:

you do have significant powers... im impressed...

to glean conclusions about socialized medicine from a chart of numbers showing deaths and antibodies

wow

can you tell tomorrows stock prices from it too?

Carnac the Magnificent!