Kapfish

Stock f150 with 20" rims ok for beach driving?

19 posts in this topic

Hi thanks in advance for any replies. I recently got a new to me truck its a 2017 F 150 with 20" rims and 275 55 20 tires. My question is will this setup be OK for beach driving? My concern is that the tires won't baloon enough with some air out because they are kind of shorter in the sidewall. Thanks again. 

Steve

You are right to be concerned,more and more 4wd trucks are coming with wheels like this. They are more suited to driving in snow and mallcrawling. Best bet is to find a set of old takeoff wheels for an older model that can fit your truck like a 17" wheel that you can put a set of 265/70 R17 all season tires on that will give you a nice footprint with lowered tire pressure.

Look on craigslist,might be able to find a set of oe 17" wheels with usable tires and lugnuts for short money that you can bolt on and go.

I've had 275/60/20s on my rig for 5 years and never had an issue driving on sand while aired down.  I'd been meaning to get a setup with more sidewall, but never found a reason to outside of reading why I should on the web.  Fwiw - I take mine down to ~18 psi before driving on the beach and try to air back up before I have to drive more than a couple miles on the road.

It's all going to depend on what type of sand is there where you're going to drive. There are Texas beaches where people drive their FWD cars onto the hard pack and are fine. If you try to go down to NC beaches, I guarantee you're NOT going to have a very good time. 

You probably are well aware of the low sidewalls being the big issue and the inability of the tires to balloon.  Will the low profile tires work in the sand?  Sure. Would I be comfortable with them? No.  Would I have them on my truck? No.

Remember there are two types of drivers in the sand. Those who have been stuck and those who will get stuck.

Another thing to consider is where you drive. If you drive over something half buried like around jetties with rocks your rims will be toast or lose the bead!

Mine are not stock, but 20” Fuel and Nitto tires.  There isn’t a bunch of sidewall.  No issues so far.  Air down and you’ll be fine.  I had the same apprehension.  I’m driving Delaware beaches and the sand can be like loose powder.

Everything has 20s nowadays.   Up in New englands soft sand they never have problems. Just figure out what psi works best in 2wd then use that so you'll definitely not get stuck in 4wd.

I have a 2018 with 20 inch tires and 157 inch wheelbase. Long truck. I air down to 16-18 psi and have no problems driving around the long island sand beaches.

Just got back from OBX and I have stock 20' tires. I was concerned however, went down to 20 and did not have an issue on any ramp I tried. It was also my first time driving on sand. I did feel that past 20, the side walls were about to be driven on. I aired back up in the lots before getting back on the road few times. 

just carried my new truck 2019 F150 6.5 bed down to the beach. First time I've had it out there with 20s. I used my deflaters I keep in the jeep. They apparently are set different for the 35s on my jeep lol. Never even thoght about that. They let my truck down to 12 lbs before i caught it. Went great on the beach though. next trip I stopped it at 18 lbs still went good. Not Jeep wrangler good but still good.

recent phone 837.jpg

recent phone 183.jpg