65 Sea James

Best cleats to stand on wet rocks

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

So I was seeing a bunch of people standing at the Charlestown Bridge Way at the very end on the wet rocks. In my opinion I thought that was very dangerous because you could easily slip off and then you’re gone. And then I asked one of the guys when I was leaving and I asked him how he didn’t slip off the rocks and he told me he had these cleats on the bottom of his shoes. The cleats dug into the rock and preventing him from slipping. Then I asked him how much of those costs and he says he paid over $500 for them. So next time I’m out in the market for some fishing gear my next thing to buy would be some cleats for wet rocks. I’m not really sure how much it would really cost if the price he gave me was too high or too low or what is really the best brand to get. Does anyone have any preference or tips on purchasing cleats for fishing off wet rocks.

Geez...  $500 cleats!?!  I have Simms wading boots with carbide cleats screwed into them that work well on rocks.  Or you can buy the strap on Korkers for around $80.

BAD59B8D-D1DF-42FD-87DF-A7076229E163.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 mins ago, 65 Sea James said:

So I was seeing a bunch of people standing at the Charlestown Bridge Way at the very end on the wet rocks. In my opinion I thought that was very dangerous because you could easily slip off and then you’re gone. And then I asked one of the guys when I was leaving and I asked him how he didn’t slip off the rocks and he told me he had these cleats on the bottom of his shoes. The cleats dug into the rock and preventing him from slipping. Then I asked him how much of those costs and he says he paid over $500 for them. So next time I’m out in the market for some fishing gear my next thing to buy would be some cleats for wet rocks. I’m not really sure how much it would really cost if the price he gave me was too high or too low or what is really the best brand to get. Does anyone have any preference or tips on purchasing cleats for fishing off wet rocks.

You can cleat just about any hiking boot. Korkers are the mainstream brand for strap on sandle type.

If you are thinking about going this route always consider safety.

Can you swim with the gear your carry(plug bag,boga) and boots on in the water you’ll fall in?

Consider a self inflated pfd.

I do go out on rocks without one but I also know I can stay calm and swim out. If the was a direct strong current where I would fall I would wear one or my wetsuit.

Edited by emptyhook

I have Korkers Buckskin boots with the triple threat sole that has carbide spikes on it. If it’s really that dangerous, invest in a PFD just in case **** happens.

47 mins ago, 65 Sea James said:

search for ice cleats,more models,beter price.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I went to my local ATV small motor store jumped in the parts catalog and coughed up twenty bucks for  some carbide tip scew in  studs for dirtbike boots / snowmobile boots.. those guys are way more hardcore than me and they use em... Amazon is great if you trust the material lists... doesnt matter how much you spend they all fall out so use locktite utragel control (black Bottle).. after a year you will end up adding others so save room.  I believe all my boots have combinations im constantly replacing them so dont spend a ton of money

Note*  if you plan on using cleated spikes dont plan on walking in someones boat or in gas station... so bring some street shoes

Edited by Pause Game
cleat ethics

22 mins ago, Pause Game said:

I went to my local ATV small motor store jumped in the parts catalog and coughed up twenty bucks for  some carbide tip scew in  studs for dirtbike boots / snowmobile boots.. those guys are way more hardcore than me and they use em...

Yeah, my carbide studs came from a dirt bike website as well.  Way cheaper than the Simms carbide stud kit and I have enough to last me a lifetime.

Stabil-icers are good velcro strap-on winter cleats with metal studs that work on slimy rocks and seem durable so far. I tended to lose studs pretty quickly that I screwed into my boots, but I hike a far on rocks.

Grip studs. model # 1800.    

They screw into the bottom of your boots. about 1$ per spike.... you can be set for about 50$ 

Not 500$ hahahah

I just bought a pair of Korker Casttrax $100. I'm a size 9 and I got the large which fits my hiking boots and wading boots. They have screw in carbide studs that can be replaced. They strap onto any shoe. I've only tried them three times and so far I really like them. I certainly felt more secure than just wearing hiking boots. They are easy on and easy off. You can carry them and put them on when you need to. They're pretty light.

The only issue I have so far is the straps are so long I don't know what to do with the extra sticking out after I buckle them. I've been just tying some overhand knots with the extra strapping.