Seakarp

$4.99 lobster today, maybe tomorrow, cook'em sous vide.

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

The bugs are $4.99 a pound at shoprite today and maybe tomorrow.

If you have a sous vide stick give it a try. I did recently and it makes a huge difference in how soft and succulent the meat is

especially the tails, which are prone to becoming tough.

So you off Mr. lobster with a knife between the eyes, slicing up through the head, then break off the tail and arms, place a skewer or 2 in the tails, so they won't curl up and toss into boiling water for one min on the tails and 3-4 on the arms. Then toss into an ice bath for a couple of mins, then shuck out the meat and put in a plastic bag with a couple of tablespoons of butter and herbs of your choice and cook at 130 or so for about 30 mins or so and you're done. It comes out crazy succulent. I remember of of the current top chef dudes as saying this is a complete game changer for lobster. He was not kidding. Give it a go!

2 hours ago, Seakarp said:

The bugs are $4.99 a pound at shoprite today and maybe tomorrow.

If you have a sous vide stick give it a try. I did recently and it makes a huge difference in how soft and succulent the meat is

especially the tails, which are prone to becoming tough.

So you off Mr. lobster with a knife between the eyes, slicing up through the head, then break off the tail and arms, place a skewer or 2 in the tails, so they won't curl up and toss into boiling water for one min on the tails and 3-4 on the arms. Then toss into an ice bath for a couple of mins, then shuck out the meat and put in a plastic bag with a couple of tablespoons of butter and herbs of your choice and cook at 130 or so for about 30 mins or so and you're done. It comes out crazy succulent. I remember of of the current top chef dudes as saying this is a complete game changer for lobster. He was not kidding. Give it a go!

Thanks for that technique Seakarp......  Looking forward to trying it out.

Love my sous vide circulator.  A great tool that I am improving on the more I use it.

What location Shoprite is having this sale?

Hm. Why not kill them, bag them, and sous vide the whole thing for an extended time, like 1.5-2 hours to ensure it's totally cooked? I grew up dismantling them on the plate, getting served a bowl of meat isn't the same.

1 hour ago, ermghoti said:

Hm. Why not kill them, bag them, and sous vide the whole thing for an extended time, like 1.5-2 hours to ensure it's totally cooked?

Good question.

I have used the above method with excellent results.

To go with a whole lobster for say 1.5 hrs at say 140 should work, as I've seen a video making the tails and the claws in the shell at 140 for an hour working well, but gave a more traditional meat texture. Here you go: