BrianBM

Smith Point update

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

As of this minute on 7/7/20 Anno Domini, The beach is only open to driving to the first cut, and closed the rest of the way to the Inlet. The beach closes entirely at 7:00 p.m. and the rangers are chasing people away as of that minute. It opens somewhere between 7:00 and 8:00 a.m., so as far as a predawn bite at either end - forget about it. 

If there is good news, it's that the plovers are usually fledged and flying by mid-July. No doubt the Powers That Be will give them a grace period, but ... fall ain't that far away.

Don't blame the birds. Blame the fool who drove around a sign and squashed a nest. If we can find him, kill him.

It’s absolute bs. It’s ok to be there during the day but not at night. It’s total discrimination against fishermen. Where’s libba where msa? Too busy fighting with each other. Instead of stepping up patrol at night they just close the beach. Steve bellone is a freaking clown. Keep voting Democrat folks!

I doubt Bellone has much to do with this. Washington sets the rules for endangered species. Fred Golofaro, in a recent column in The Fisherman, pointed out that the Atlantic plover population is considered "near threatened," whereas the Great Lakes population is "endangered."  I doubt that the distinction has much traction with whomever in D.C. makes these decisions.

Brian the cops there use the plovers rightfully so as an excuse not to patrol or open to fisherman at night. There's so many animals driving that beach to control! Years ago we had so many foxes there I would count up to 8 at night leaving the Gunn. While bait fishing sitting on my tailgate they were under my feet? Well long ago the Super there told me on the QT that they had someone trapping the fox to protect the birds! It was never let out publicly cause of the animal rights people. HE said it was warranted to protect an endangered species. 

I stopped buying my beach pass. Not worth the cost for an out of towner. Grew up on south shore but only visit 3-4 weeks a year. My friends stopped buying their passes and they're still residents.  

Not certain which animal has screwed my fishing plans more, seals or plovers?

P{rospector, nice to see you hanging around here.

Figured out the fishing in your new digs yet? 

I ain't fishing, can't risk the knee exploding on the beach again. I'm tying flies a-plenty.