BrianBM

A Mikkelson note

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I took a drive to White Water Marine in Hampton Bays today, to see what else Glen might've tied  ...  he's stopped tying, at least for general sale purposes.  There are a few of his epoxy baitfish left, but no other flies. So if you want one, go git out there in a hurry. I bought four in different colors. None of his acrylic baitfish (per Innovative Saltwater Flies, he had some flies, larger baits, made with acrylic; the book also shows his crab patterns) were available. No one seemed to know why he quit, or what he's doing now.

My earlier sample had an Atlantic Flies label.  What's left is unlabeled. Atlantic Flies doesn't have a website to inquire. So, go figure.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sorry to hear all of Glen's patterns weren't available to you in the shop but they are online. "No one seemed to know why he quit, or what he's doing now." , you said. Of course, you know how to find Glen's patterns online and, being a long time fly tier, even I have stopped tying flies. Hey. I'm not losing flies because the fish aren't biting off my flies for the past two seasons so why would I tie our favorite fish catching patterns when I have lots of them left? Same, I'm thinking, about Glen. Why tie unless fishermen are asking him to tie specific flies for our Long Island fishing which is zilch as of now? I'd suggest asking Glen to tie up some of his great albie flies for you before the albie season starts. He knows what size/colors produce, that's for sure! 

Edited by flysully

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

I took a drive to White Water Marine in Hampton Bays today, to see what else Glen might've tied  ...  he's stopped tying, at least for general sale purposes.  There are a few of his epoxy baitfish left, but no other flies. So if you want one, go git out there in a hurry. I bought four in different colors. None of his acrylic baitfish (per Innovative Saltwater Flies, he had some flies, larger baits, made with acrylic; the book also shows his crab patterns) were available. No one seemed to know why he quit, or what he's doing now.

My earlier sample had an Atlantic Flies label.  What's left is unlabeled. Atlantic Flies doesn't have a website to inquire. So, go figure.

y earlier sample had an Atlantic Flies label.  What's left is unlabeled. Atlantic Flies doesn't have a website to inquire. So, go figure.

Atlantic Flies is no longer, a great disappointment to us fly tiers. But, a greater incentive is for us to tie our own flies from online patterns to catch species we know will respond to those greater known fly tiers' patterns. Give it a try. You can tie their patterns!

He was the guy who got me tying after I’d been buying some from him in early 90s at the Salty Flyrodder meetings in Queens.  He told me I would need to tie because id want my own Variations on my own chosen hooks and it would be hard to find buy them. 

so I did