Topside2

Mix It Up -- Ignore Your Instincts

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I have been trying something new this year with my fishing and have experienced surprising success.  Instead of reaching for the tried-and-true lure or technique, I am forcing myself to try ignore my first instinct and going with something different.  Often, I pick a lure or color that I've never tried before.  The other day, we were running low on live macs so I decided to let others use up the last few in the live-well.   I opened up the box and picked out a white, 6" sluggo and decided to fish it unweighted.  Amazingly, I was out-catching the live bait!  Tried the same thing on spring smallmouth.  Instead of relying on my all-time favorite Tiny Torpedo, I tied on a suspending jerk bait and slayed them -- especially pre-spawn.  Lately, I have been picking lures that I really don't have much confidence in.  I narrow it down and try the one I think will be least likely to work...but they often do.   I am easily amused, but this is kind of fun.  Give it a try and see what happens.

I use a white 7.5 inch sluggo rigged weightless as my daytime search bait and the same size black ones at night. 

Great point on trying something different through. My nephew lost all of his tackle in a recent move so I was going through all my stuff the other night to make him a care package. As I did, I noticed so many lures that got 0-1 tries and thought about really needing to switch it up when it is slow. I also like to minimize my gear to only bring what I need so may always be competing with that. 

Btw, I also move to lures when running low on live bait so my boat guests can keep fishing with them. Good job captain!

16 hours ago, Topside2 said:

I have been trying something new this year with my fishing and have experienced surprising success.  Instead of reaching for the tried-and-true lure or technique, I am forcing myself to try ignore my first instinct and going with something different.  Often, I pick a lure or color that I've never tried before.  The other day, we were running low on live macs so I decided to let others use up the last few in the live-well.   I opened up the box and picked out a white, 6" sluggo and decided to fish it unweighted.  Amazingly, I was out-catching the live bait!  Tried the same thing on spring smallmouth.  Instead of relying on my all-time favorite Tiny Torpedo, I tied on a suspending jerk bait and slayed them -- especially pre-spawn.  Lately, I have been picking lures that I really don't have much confidence in.  I narrow it down and try the one I think will be least likely to work...but they often do.   I am easily amused, but this is kind of fun.  Give it a try and see what happens.

Like George Costanza, do the opposite. :laugh:

If anyone were to claim they know everything there is to know about striped bass fishing, you know they're full of chit.  Every day out there should be a learning experience.

There are no rules, only recommendations...