Recruitkim

How to dress for kayak fishing in October for Jamaica Bay, NYC?

13 posts in this topic

I recently started kayaking and enjoy it a lot in Jamaica Bay NYC. I want to keep doing it in October when the weather starts to cool down, my question is how should I dress?

Right now, in July, I just wear shorts and a tee shirt. But in October will I need a wetsuit? Drysuit? Maybe just polyester top and bottoms and a weatherproof shell?

Also it would be nice to wear something that keeps my butt and legs dry. Water is always getting into my kayak

Water temp would likely be in the 60s. I would go with a 4/3 or 3/2 wetsuit. It really also depends on where you will be fishing, but if there is any chance of prolonged submersion you need to dress for the water temperature.

Conditions vary early to late Oct.  I prefer a semi-dry suit with wicking/fleece layers underneath and adjust as necessary depending on temps & conditions.   

1 hour ago, Recruitkim said:

Anyone know where I can buy a drysuit in person in NYC? I'd like to be able to try it on or at least get an idea of how it fits

Tough question. Campmor in Paramus has them, they might be in a windsurfing shop on the south shore somewhere. You could try REI.

10 hours ago, gellfex said:

Tough question. Campmor in Paramus has them, they might be in a windsurfing shop on the south shore somewhere. You could try REI.

I'd phone first, last time I was there (3-4 months ago) it felt like they were closing down based on the empty shelves and staff attitude

Consider top and bottom semi/dry gear also. The tops are perfect for surfcasting, and the pants can work year round for snow or as rain gear.

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 hours ago, gellfex said:

Wet suites are made to be wet. I opt for a dry suit. I also use it for surfcasting, 

Call before you go to Campmor, they had nothing in the store a few months back it looked like they where going out of business. No more Hobies either.

Edited by nfnDrum

Try to get a wetsuit with a relief zipper/ fly. In Oct I only need a long sleeve Under armor under my wetsuit. I add a semi/dry top to keep the cold and wet off the wetsuit.

On 7/7/2020 at 2:32 PM, Recruitkim said:

I recently started kayaking and enjoy it a lot in Jamaica Bay NYC. I want to keep doing it in October when the weather starts to cool down, my question is how should I dress?

Right now, in July, I just wear shorts and a tee shirt. But in October will I need a wetsuit? Drysuit? Maybe just polyester top and bottoms and a weatherproof shell?

Also it would be nice to wear something that keeps my butt and legs dry. Water is always getting into my kayak

Check out NRS, Austin Canoe & Kayak, etc.  Order different sizes and ship back the ones that don't fit or you don't like.  You might end up paying more for the return but beats settling for crappy or no inventory, or getting COVID.  The only reason to go out is to grab some personal time away from wife and family.  JK.  Sort of...

I'm in NJ, I got away last October with diving booties and a pair of wetsuit pants(just the pants in case I had to go number 1), with a dry pant over them(cheapo the frog togg ones), water was warm enough if I fell in I'd be good with the pants / booties and I kept dry with the dry pants. I also threw in a waterproof jacket incase I needed it but never used it. 

Another thing I did last fall and this spring was put my foot in plastic bags before the booties acted like a waterproof barrier. Kept feet dry, they were hot lol but not wet, at the end of the day they were a little sweaty but not bad, I guess it depends on the weather.

Too cold I don't go out, however, if it was a bit cooler I'd just throw on a dry suit top probably under my above outfit. But I like the different top/bottom for wetsuit for the relief benefit.

Leisure Pro in manhattan or some other dive shops in the area might be worth a trip if you're serious about a wet or dry suit. I havent been in a while but leisure pro had a great wetsuit and drysuit selection, generous return policy and lots of used gear. 

IMO one thing to consider is that air temp and windchill is going to be much much colder than the water temp that time of year.  Early spring you need to be much more concerned about water temp and dressing for water vs air temp.  Early october you might be ok insulating layers and windproof shell if you won't be far from shore.  late october and november when the water temp really starts to drop i'd really consider wet and drysuit options.