mickrazz

S&W 9mm shield EZ

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

For anyone with weak hands from old age, arthritis or any other hand problem, this gun is a Godsend.

I bought one last week after having to sell my Walther PPQ because I had a hard time racking it.

I shot it yesterday. What a pleasure to shoot. I mounted a Crimson Trace green laser and sighted it in. It shoots very good and the recoil is mild.

Just a heads up for anyone in my situation.

1 hour ago, mickrazz said:

For anyone with weak hands from old age, arthritis or any other hand problem, this gun is a Godsend.

I bought one last week after having to sell my Walther PPQ because I had a hard time racking it.

I shot it yesterday. What a pleasure to shoot. I mounted a Crimson Trace green laser and sighted it in. It shoots very good and the recoil is mild.

Had one, sold it a couple of years ago. Doubt it was the EZ. I have the same problem with weakened hands, old age isn't kind to me. Now I have a Sig P365, about as easy to rack a round as the Shield for me, it holds more rounds and sits better in my pocket.

2 hours ago, Bass Ackwards said:

Had one, sold it a couple of years ago. Doubt it was the EZ. I have the same problem with weakened hands, old age isn't kind to me. Now I have a Sig P365, about as easy to rack a round as the Shield for me, it holds more rounds and sits better in my pocket.

The ex 9 just came out. You didn't have one.

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

...... but the trigger sux......Glock 43X....omo.

I had no choice. The trigger isn't the worse I've ever felt.

5 hours ago, mickrazz said:

I'm glad you found what works for you.  FWIW, it's the same reason (granted different platform) I press on with revolvers for weekly practice and daily carry.

When it doesn't fit you find something that does

Posted (edited) · Report post

32 mins ago, mako20ft said:

I'm glad you found what works for you.  FWIW, it's the same reason (granted different platform) I press on with revolvers for weekly practice and daily carry.

no problem racking the round in on my revolvers either. LOL    My .40 Shield (non EZ) is kind of tough to rack, and even harder to load the mags. And I have strong hands.

Edited by cbchurch

5 hours ago, mickrazz said:

Good choice. 

Wife's thumbs are racked with arthritis, and she cannot rack a slide on most handguns. The EZ has eliminated that problem completely for her. 

She's got a brandy new .380 being delivered Friday. :)

Is there a thumb safety on yours mick? Some versions have the tailpiece safety AND the thumb safety.

I have the original Shield in 9mm and love the gun but the slide is a real problem to rack due to the heavy recoil spring. I was about to go to the Shield EZ but found a charging handle from  RecoverTactical on line that is easy to attach and made all the difference in the world.

It is a common thing in my shop that ladies and arthritic men cannot rack a slide. The new Shield is a great choice as are featherweight snub nosed revolvers, but here is something else to try. 

Hold the pistol in your LEFT hand and rack with your right hand. You can also try holding the slide with your right hand and pushing your left hand forward. Works for some.

1 hour ago, mybeach said:

Good choice. 

Wife's thumbs are racked with arthritis, and she cannot rack a slide on most handguns. The EZ has eliminated that problem completely for her. 

She's got a brandy new .380 being delivered Friday. :)

Is there a thumb safety on yours mick? Some versions have the tailpiece safety AND the thumb safety.

Yes, I have the thumb safety. It's no problem.

41 mins ago, mybeach said:

The tabs on the EZ magazine make it a bit easier to load them as well.

Another plus. Now I don't need my uplula.

2 hours ago, mako20ft said:

1 hour ago, cbchurch said:

no problem racking the round in on my revolvers either. LOL    My .40 Shield (non EZ) is kind of tough to rack, and even harder to load the mags. And I have strong hands.

I love revolvers and had them my whole life..till my eyesight went south. I can't get a good sight picture.

I installed a Crimson Trace green laser to solve that problem.

I know Crimson Trace makes grips for revolvers but they were a bit expensive for me.

2 hours ago, Whopper Bubba said:

It is a common thing in my shop that ladies and arthritic men cannot rack a slide. The new Shield is a great choice as are featherweight snub nosed revolvers, but here is something else to try. 

Hold the pistol in your LEFT hand and rack with your right hand. You can also try holding the slide with your right hand and pushing your left hand forward. Works for some.

We went trough those exercises as well, holding her left arm tight to her body, full hand on the slide and pushing the right hand through the left. 

Still difficult for her. 

On 7/7/2020 at 6:54 AM, mickrazz said:

Mick, hows the Crimson Trace working for you? Does it impede your grip at all? Can you provide the model # for the unit you purchased please? Looking for one for the wife's new .380 EZ. @mickrazz