Jubert93

Spook Lure

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Hey guys. Wanted to gain more experience with the spook style lure.

I have the 7" and 9" doc lure in my tackle bag. Maybe I've been spoiled with the talking poppers (which I primarily use) and when I try casting the doc spook Lure, it's pretty pathetic.

Are there better casting spook lures?

If so, recommendations. The jigging world version seems to be sold out everywhere.

I have a few rod setups and would like to know if there is an ideal setup.

Vsx150

Vsx250

11' Tsunami AWE 1-4oz

10' Lamiglas SS 2G 2-5oz

9' ODM D.N.A 1/2-3oz

Right now I have the 250 with the Tsunami and the 150 with the DNA. I'd assume the 11' would be ideal for casting?

Thanks!

Gibbs has a big one that casts better than the docs, Williamson makes a 1 1/2 oz, Heddon, yo zuri make 1 oz they all cast better.

9 mins ago, Jubert93 said:

Hey guys. Wanted to gain more experience with the spook style lure.

I have the 7" and 9" doc lure in my tackle bag. Maybe I've been spoiled with the talking poppers (which I primarily use) and when I try casting the doc spook Lure, it's pretty pathetic.

Are there better casting spook lures?

If so, recommendations. The jigging world version seems to be sold out everywhere.

I have a few rod setups and would like to know if there is an ideal setup.

Vsx150

Vsx250

11' Tsunami AWE 1-4oz

10' Lamiglas SS 2G 2-5oz

9' ODM D.N.A 1/2-3oz

Right now I have the 250 with the Tsunami and the 150 with the DNA. I'd assume the 11' would be ideal for casting?

Thanks!

If you go to RM Tackle on the internet, you will find the store for RM Smith plugs.  There is a 2.5 oz spook called a loaded JigSmith that will cast very far.  The regular jigsmith casts very well too. The only problem is he usually sells out of the colors you might want in hours to days after he puts them up for sale. There are usually some for sale on the BST, or you could put a WTB out for them. 

I didn't think the Doc Spook casted that bad. I throw mine with a steel head rod.

there’s also a daddy mac / bobby rice (reel deal charters out of Truro) collaboration called the “RD Bomb” that casts very well - and catches very well too.

247Lures has a bunch of great casting spook style lures. I primarily use the Heddon Super Spook XT and a 2-2.5oz loaded XT which cast like a rocket if they are breaking far away.

It's all about the noise,I wish the Doc wasn't discovered by the Striper crowd.  I've used them for almost 10yrs and didn't talk about it for yrs. I get plenty of distance to be effective. Musky guys know how to make a tough fish strike. Musky's are a fish of  a thousand casts. I know because I've tried for them,it's not easy.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think the 7" Doc cast like a missile.  The 9" Doc, in my opinion, is rod sensitive.  My BT1083m cast the 9" great.  My RodGeeks 1-5 11' does too.  Both my GSB1321m and Supersurf make it tumble like a metal lip.

Edited by sinfish

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 mins ago, sinfish said:

I think the 7" Doc cast like a missile.  The 9" Doc, in my opinion, is rod sensitive.  My BT1083m cast the 9" great.  My RodGeeks 1-5 11' does too.  Both my GSB1321m and Supersurf make it tumble like a metal lip.

interesting. I feel like wind has a huge effect on those docs.

On an interesting note I went to a new location today to practice my spook Lure casting.

7" lil doc with my 9' rod and VS150.

9" doc with my 11' rod VS250.

Caught 2 bluefish in the first 5 casts on the 9" and 3rd got away 30min later. Nothing after that. Pretty impressed though!

Couple things I noticed, I can cast the 7" with my 9' just as far as the 9" with my 11".

Secondly, I started fishing at slack tide and the water was relatively calm. This is when I caught my blues. It seems a lot easier to "walk the dog" on a calm surface. Once the tide started coming in along with the increasing waves, it become much harder to "walk the doc." Do you guys switch lures at this point or is there a technique with spook lures?

FACD8C9F-06C9-4346-8994-FC204BDCA88C.jpeg

^the rear treble got him in the belly. Hopefully he'll make it alive.

Edited by Jubert93

On 7/8/2020 at 10:24 AM, VitaminDee said:

247Lures has a bunch of great casting spook style lures. I primarily use the Heddon Super Spook XT and a 2-2.5oz loaded XT which cast like a rocket if they are breaking far away.

I also use the Heddon 7 or 8 inch spook

64629761_10213704303272359_6847844278480142336_n.jpg

On 7/8/2020 at 11:51 AM, John P said:

It's all about the noise,I wish the Doc wasn't discovered by the Striper crowd.  I've used them for almost 10yrs and didn't talk about it for yrs. I get plenty of distance to be effective. Musky guys know how to make a tough fish strike. Musky's are a fish of  a thousand casts. I know because I've tried for them,it's not easy.

I think 10 years ago you could get the doc blanks for about 6 or 7 bucks a piece.  Now they retail for 3-4x.  Definitely a victim of its own success, for a while they were one of the best kept secrets in fishing.  The cat is way out of the bag now.   I think every plug caught fish over 40 lbs I’ve ever landed was on a doc.    There isnt anything in bass fishing I consider a magic bullet, but the DOC sure is close.