Turkeybacn

Osterville area charter

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

My wife and I will be staying with a few friends in Osterville at the end of next week. Our friends have access to a boat and are interested in fishing for a day. I know next to nothing about fishing from a boat and recommended we book a charter trip instead. Looking for some recommendations. As of now I believe we have 6 people that are interested. I'm more interested in large stripers but a combination trip probably wouldnt be a bad idea. 

Thanks,

Dan

I vote for doing it yourself. You will learn something. Go to your local bait and tackle and have two conventional tackle outfits set up specifically for trolling a tube. Local bait and tackle will hook you up. Buy a flat of worms and troll that tube anywhere in Cape Cod Bay in under 20'.  Buy a subscription to Navionics for your phone. I don't live there but Billingsgate Shoals Looks promising. Troll that tube at 1.5-2.5 knots. Everyone will have fun and you will look like an allstar....

6E7EBCDF-8672-458B-B8AA-63A4CF81DA7F.png

I thought about going down this route but my buddy doesn't know much about the boat. No fish finder, no idea if it has rod holders, thinks its somewhere between 15'-20' long but isn't sure. I'll be bringing all my surfcasting gear with me for our stay but wary to spend money on a set up without knowing what the deal is with the boat first.

23 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I vote for doing it yourself. You will learn something. Go to your local bait and tackle and have two conventional tackle outfits set up specifically for trolling a tube. Local bait and tackle will hook you up. Buy a flat of worms and troll that tube anywhere in Cape Cod Bay in under 20'.  Buy a subscription to Navionics for your phone. I don't live there but Billingsgate Shoals Looks promising. Troll that tube at 1.5-2.5 knots. Everyone will have fun and you will look like an allstar....

25 mins ago, Turkeybacn said:

I thought about going down this route but my buddy doesn't know much about the boat. No fish finder, no idea if it has rod holders, thinks its somewhere between 15'-20' long but isn't sure. I'll be bringing all my surfcasting gear with me for our stay but wary to spend money on a set up without knowing what the deal is with the boat first.

Sounds like a fun adventure to me.  Pay the less than 20 bucks for the phone navionics  app. It will follow your real time. The blind can lead the blind. What's the worst that can happen?  You catch bass and some blues? 

Take the money you would have spent on the charter and buy some more gear with it. Even if you don’t catch much you still end up with new rods and tackle. 

48 mins ago, z-man said:

Take the money you would have spent on the charter and buy some more gear with it. Even if you don’t catch much you still end up with new rods and tackle. 

Hmmm I have wanted to buy a conventional set up and I just might be able to spin this to the wife haha. Any recommendations on a reel I could use to soak bait with from the beach and also on a boat.

23 mins ago, Turkeybacn said:

Hmmm I have wanted to buy a conventional set up and I just might be able to spin this to the wife haha. Any recommendations on a reel I could use to soak bait with from the beach and also on a boat.

Daiwa Lexa. It’s good for casting and also works well for trolling or drifting.