KennebecJake

Advice on trebles

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

ALLCON,

I'm primarily a fly fisherman but I love traditional wood plugs for bass and blues (must be the New Englander in me).

Given that I'm catching and releasing mostly bass, is there any way to rig a Danny/Bottle/Atom/Conrad/Pencil/Darter without trebles that can still be fished and "swim" reasonably well?

A single siwash on the tail is all I can come up with but I've always felt a lot of the strikes were at the head. (at least it seems that way when I see bass swirl on my flies.)

Advice on any of the styles would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Jake

Posted (edited) · Report post

IMO, using only one hook on the belly of a plug is really not a good setup if you want to hook and land fish, particularly striped bass. I have fished several different plugs with one belly treble and can honestly say it is a pretty frustrating way to fish as I missed lots of hits and dropped many of the bass that did end up getting hooked. By adding a siwash hook to the tail of those same plugs my hookup rate increased dramatically. 

Edited by VanStaalSteve

Just crimp the barbs and use a siwash tail hook and you will do a lot less damage to the fish as you release them. Plus you won't have as much trouble if you get hooked.  You may lose a few,but not many in my experience.

Posted (edited) · Report post

When catching stripers I hook the vast majority of fish on the belly hook. Blues, mostly on the tail hook. We used to remove the belly hooks when targeting bluefish to save our hands. These days I do single on the tail, treble with crushed barbs on the belly.

Edited by wrboz

I'm working on a single inline belly hook/rear flag setup on minnow lures.  I can get these lures to pulsate like factory with a belly treble (crushed barbs) and rear flag, but not with front single/flag.  I have a couple items on order... haven't given up yet. 

Great stuff in the video, but the gentleman saying "release is so easy it's insane" should've said "extremely helpful releasing fish" because belly trebles mangle a lot of fish.....even with crushed barbs.  Striped Bass will suck the entire lure down from behind....when that occurs the treble can do tremendous damage, and with a rear hook it can be worse.

Feel free to call me soft or whatever, but when I release a short Striper that I know will die, I feel terrible. YMMV indeed on this one.            

I did that weight thing on a redfin in an effort to gain casting distance without loading it.  I used 80lb mono and a crimp.  Much easier than two vise grips and all that nonsense.