bob_G

July fourth blues

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

58 mins ago, iceberg57 said:

Best way to enjoy them IMO with a cold one. Yours look outstanding Bob! Did you brine them before smoking?

Thank you.   Yes I brined them.  To 2 quarts of water I added, 1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup light soy,  1/4 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, tablespoon of garlic powder, tablespoon of fresh cracked black pepper,  bay leaf.  

Brine in refrigerator overnight.  Next day wash thoroughly under cold water, dry with paper towels. Place on racks and allow to dry in refrigerator overnight until pellicle forms.  

Dust with fresh cracked black pepper, then off to the smoker.

1 min ago, bob_G said:

Thank you.   Yes I brined them.  To 2 quarts of water I added, 1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup light soy,  1/4 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, tablespoon of garlic powder, tablespoon of fresh cracked black pepper,  bay leaf.  

Brine in refrigerator overnight.  Next day wash thoroughly under cold water, dry with paper towels. Place on racks and allow to dry in refrigerator overnight until pellicle forms.  

Dust with fresh cracked black pepper, then off to the smoker.

^^^^Proper!!!

2 hours ago, nim said:

Looks delicious!

What temperature and how long were you smoking it for?

These were small blues, 3-4lbs.  Temp was <225*, for almost 3 hours.  I have a remote meat thermometer. With fish, once you reach an internal temp of 165* your done.