Heron25

Cops and Malpractice Insurance

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

NYC lawmakers are considering requiring cops to carry their own personal liability insurance when they're on the job.  They're saying it's similar to MD's and malpractice insurance.  Under current law, cops who are sued are represented by the city law department and taxpayers foot the bill for any verdict or settlement.  This is an interesting idea- not sure how I feel about it.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

So would it be cheaper to pay for their insurance premiums versus the payouts they're making annually currently?

The other thing they're considering is stripping officers of their pensions if they're found guilty of misconduct.  

Edited by Heron25

Between July 2017 and June 2018, New York City paid out $230 million in 6,472 cases for alleged misconduct or alleged wrongdoing by officers, according to a report released by city Comptroller Scott Stringer’s office.

4 mins ago, Heron25 said:

So would it be cheaper to pay for their insurance premiums versus the payouts they're making annually currently?

The other thing they're considering is stripping officers of their pensions if they're found guilty of misconduct.  

Right or wrong, the net effect of this will be to shift to a less education and less capable police force.  

BUT, the community ultimately gets the PD that the community wants, and thats as it should be.

5 mins ago, Heron25 said:

Do you think the insurance companies are in business to loose money?

1 min ago, MakoMike said:

Do you think the insurance companies are in business to loose money?

You tell me.  

I'm talking about cheaper for the city.  Roughly 38,000 cops, according to wiki.  How much is personal liability insurance?  10k a year???

One on the things that would go along with individual insurance is that the insurance companies could increase rates or cancel policies based on claims made against the insured..   

Just now, ByronPA said:

One on the things that would go along with individual insurance is that the insurance companies could increase rates or cancel policies based on claims made against the insured..   

That's what the city is hoping to keep the cops in line.  If cops don't have the policy, they can't work.  If they can't afford to pay increased rates because of their bad behavior, they can't work.

3 mins ago, Heron25 said:

You tell me.  

I'm talking about cheaper for the city.  Roughly 38,000 cops, according to wiki.  How much is personal liability insurance?  10k a year???

The City is still going to be sued, for things like not providing proper training for the cop. The insurance companies will certainly charge premium rates, actuarily based on prior experience, that will be sufficient to insure their profitability. On most cases the City won't save butkis because they will have to defend their own negligence anyway.

I doubt much thought was put into the actual fiscal intelligence of this proposed bill.  It's a plan to keep cops "in line".  

Will politicians, including the mayor, have to carry individual liability insurance also?  If hizzoner orders the cops to disperse a crowd and one cop gets a little heavy handed, you'd think the mayor would be named in the suit also.  

4 mins ago, Heron25 said:

I doubt much thought was put into the actual fiscal intelligence of this proposed bill.  It's a plan to keep cops "in line".  

Will politicians, including the mayor, have to carry individual liability insurance also?  If hizzoner orders the cops to disperse a crowd and one cop gets a little heavy handed, you'd think the mayor would be named in the suit also.  

The city ha the "deep pockets" that every negligence lawyer is looking for.

1 hour ago, Heron25 said:

That's what the city is hoping to keep the cops in line.  If cops don't have the policy, they can't work.  If they can't afford to pay increased rates because of their bad behavior, they can't work.

What sort of criteria will the Ins. Co use to determine the premiums? Surely they will HAVE to use the same as any other insurance company, right? Will they base it on race, color, health condition, salary, where they live and when they work?

This will definitely spark some to argue they are being "targeted" for higher costs because of these criteria.

1 hour ago, Heron25 said:

NYC lawmakers are considering requiring cops to carry their own personal liability insurance when they're on the job.  They're saying it's similar to MD's and malpractice insurance.  Under current law, cops who are sued are represented by the city law department and taxpayers foot the bill for any verdict or settlement.  This is an interesting idea- not sure how I feel about it.  

Totally false - doctors, lawyers, accountants, engineers, etc. don't carry their own personal policies.  Insurance is purchased by their employers, in the company's name.  Only a sole proprietor (i.e. someone operating under their own name as opposed to a formally registered business ) would have their own individual policy with themselves listed as a named insured.  Since the employer, or the city in this case, is ultimately responsible for the conduct of its employees it has to carry the policy.  Cities/states, etc. in the past have simply determined that they have the financial resources to self-insure.