Gwrodzhi

Installing rudder kit on tarpon kayak

9 posts in this topic

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience installing a rudder kit on a tarpon tandem kayak. I am debating whether or not it is worth it. Love having a rudder system on the Hobie, just not sure if it is a huge hassle/ risk of damaging boat. thanks. 

I have two older tarpons that I put rudders on, a 120 and a 140, very straight forward install on both and have performed flawlessly for years. If I remember correctly only holes were for the tubing for the cables. Good luck!

Dont know about a tandem butI installed one on a Tarpon 140. Its easy to install and makes the yak more stable in wind and current. The instruction are not that good but there is a ton of informatiuon out there on how to install them,. The only thing I didnt like was the $200 dollar price tag for the kit. The kit wont damage the kayak, in fact the tarpon is designed for the rudder kit so you are just installing an option that can come preinstalled with the kayak new.

I think you will like the rudder. I have an older Tarpon 14 single. Iove the rudder.  Had it installed when I bought the kayak but I think installation is not too hard. Any local shop would be willing to do the installation .

Spoiler

I had an older Tarpon 120 that I had a rudder on.  It was a huge upgrade to me, worked great, never had an issue with it. 

I now have an Ocean Kayak Trident 11 Angler I recently got that does not have a rudder.  Adding a rudder is at the top of the list!  

Definitely helps when drifting or when there is wind not having to make constant corrections with the paddle. 

Will definitely have to get the kit then just had it out in the ocean and covered about 10 miles. Had to constantly correct due to wind and tide. I'm fairly mechanically inclined so I should be able to handle the install. I hate puting holes in my kayaks though, will just have to get over it I guess. 

Is there any grommet, bushing or such where you drill at the stern for the cable? Or is the hole just too small to worry about once a cables in there? I'm considering a rudder to go with the Kayaksailor kit I think I'm going to order. Both my Pescador 12 (Tarpon) and Scupper Pro are made to receive rudders.

I will have to compare the hole size in my hobie and see what's in the back of this one. Might be a few days though. Also I didn't realize the rudder was aftermarket. I thought wilderness systems made it. 

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

Is there any grommet, bushing or such where you drill at the stern for the cable? Or is the hole just too small to worry about once a cables in there? I'm considering a rudder to go with the Kayaksailor kit I think I'm going to order. Both my Pescador 12 (Tarpon) and Scupper Pro are made to receive rudders.

You hit the nail on the head, drill for grommet then cable tube passes thru grommet.

I've done one (not on a tarpon) after a while i twisted a pc of bailing wire around the cable tube ends (which stick out about 1/2" from the face of the grommet) to keep it from sliding back in, i twisted till it bit in a little but not collapsing the tube to keep thosetubes anchored better.

Cable tube is suspended running from cockpit to stern with nothing provided to really keep that cable from sagging below deck...eventually you'll see the cable tube ends retreating if they're not anchored better, a tight grommet fit  keeps them pretty good but they will retreat over time..

Regards..