Southcoastphil

Making DIY rings for tins from through-wire? 

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Some of my old school metals (not all are made of tin) have a hole that's 3/16" and more from the edge of the thick (3/16) metal, which is a PITA when it comes to connecting.  I mangled my largest (size 8) split rings when attaching them to thinner metals, and I've rarely been successful in bringing the rings back together with the turn-it-inside-out approach.  

Looking at a bunch of .062 wire cutoffs I have on hand, it strikes me that there must be a simple way of making loops from them, short of creating two barrel-wrapped loops, but I'm not envisioning it at this moment.

It seems unlikely that I'm the only one wrestling with this and equally unlikely that some of you haven't devised a solution.

TIA, as always, for your help.

Been debating having a welder at my shop tack some  cut rings together bc ive been going throuhg the same problem with the charlie graves and hopkins tins, looking forward to seeing some of the responses here

12 mins ago, cheech said:

I do this.

D1DB06D9-12B4-4FC1-B940-54439FF5FBC9.jpeg

Looks like a great idea Cheech , ever had any problems rigging it like that?

I am gonna give that a go man.. Thanks for the info.. Appreciate it.

Tommy

I use a split ring technique I learned here on SOL. Put a split ring on the tin and yes I know it will become stretched. Take a needle nose  pliers and turn the ring inside out by flipping the open end over the coil and teasing it all the way around until the flat side of the coils are facing outward. After about 30 seconds reverse the process so the round side of the coils are once again facing outward and the flat sides are face to face on the inside. Amazingly the ring is now as tight as new and mounted to your tin. I have done this on Kastmasters ,Hopkins,Casting Spoons and most importantly on Charlie Graves which makes them easy to attach with your  hardware of choice. If you use the search feature here I am sure you will be able to find the original post. 

Certainly one of the "gems" from SOL. It should be pinned!!!

Marc

Mcmaster carr

hardened stainless wire

sta silv brazing solder 

flux

torch

Soft wire is no place for a ring...especially if brazing.

Rosco butt rings are what I would consider soft.

Posted (edited) · Report post

While there's some good suggestions here, you could pretty easily make a ring with just ring pliers. Here's video of me making keels with 1/16 hard stainless wire. All you'd have to do is just keep going round another time on the loop. Smaller wire like 0.045 might be better than 1/16.

Edited by gellfex