BrianBM

Dyna-King Indexer or Ultimate Indexer

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I recall a couple of vise discussions in which people who tie a lot mentioned the DK Indexer, which is now replaced by the Ultimate Indexer.  For those here who use either Indexer, a question.

What does the Indexer allow you to do, or allow with less effort, than any other fly vise? For what kind of flies is an "indexer" a better tool?

Well, yes, pretty, a nice static display. Now what can you do with that Indexer that would be harder to do with a different vise?

Side thought. Oh, how my cat would like to play on that table. She finds flies in my basement that I could swear had been secured against inquisitive felines. That's one reason that I tie almost entirely in the summer, out of doors - she's an indoor cat and doesn't get out.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I don’t use the indexing too much Brian.  I can say my tying improved a bit after bringing this baby home.

Edited by Orca

I was curious about the indexing feature so went to the Dyna-King website where you will find the following if you look at the Ultimate Indexer Diagram and I quote: "The Ultimate Indexer allows the vise to be rotated to one of eight positions allowing the epoxy body to partially cure in each stage..." This is the only feature (plus ease of indexing) that is mentioned. And there is no such or other mention in the original Indexer (still offered) Diagram.

Edited by Suave
Typo

I've found a couple of reviews, sponsored by Dyna-King, on YT.  For the time being at least, I'll live with my Renzetti SW Traveler.  I am going to try the advice of one poster in the Underwhelmed By Renzetti thread and drill a hole in the vertical shaft, so that tightening the base screw engages a hole and puts a stop to the thing's maddening willingness to spin on the vertical axis.

The first order of business is my skill set.  Gaudy new tools are delightful, but I need a lot more practice as a tier to justify a $600 - $800 tool. I have the cam jaw in waiting for installation on the Traveller (I notice that current Renzetti literature doesn't show the older two-screw jaw arrangement that came on the vice).  If I can fix that damn shaft to satisfaction, I will want no better.

Edited by BrianBM