snakebit95

Daiwa Ballistic LT - Auto Bail Trip Problem

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I have one of the small Ballistic LT1000D reels on a light rod that I use for panfish. It has been used maybe a dozen trips and has developed a problem with automatically tripping the bail (stopped auto tripping). I removed the side cover and discovered that Daiwa is using a metal cam riding on the plastic housing (molded-in ramp) to actuate the bail trip shaft. With the minimal use, it appears that the plastic housing has worn down just enough that it allows the cam to slide by without tripping the bail. I know there have been quite a few members who are using the larger size reels on this forum. Has anybody else experienced this problem??

I do have a couple of the 6000 size Ballistics, but I am normally manually flipping those bails. The small reel is nice to use the auto bail trip feature since panfish sometimes hit the bait just as it hits the water.  Thanks!!

Most of them do it manually, so they can`t get to that point.

And daiwa relies on that also.

I had a feeling that might be the case. I do not think it is worth sending in for repair since it happened in such short order. Will just flip the bail manually I guess. It seems Daiwa skipped field testing or life cycle testing on the auto bail mechanism for these reels. It didn’t take long to find the premature failure point.  A short test on their end would have showed the problem. 

No time for that today, just chuck it out and put some flaming description to it.

But it`s gonna cost them dearly, in the long run.

Try looking for black marlin and tsurinoya brown bear reels

For a 100 you get very solid, all metal reels.

6 hours ago, snakebit95 said:

I guess it’s all about making a quick buck these days. It’s a shame product quality has gone that way. 

FYI....since you're a new member here.

Glos (while never owning their products or having any first hand knowledge)

Loves to bash the brand.  90% of his posts not pertaining to bashing the brand are completely off kilter....barely make sense.....many disrespectful....

That tidbit of info aside....

Is there any way you can post up a pic?

I thought the Ballistic had that rubber disc which engages the trip ramp.  

I don't have the 1000...but I do have a 2000 tatula and 2500 ballistic.

If the rubber piece came off it would fail to function....and wear on the ramp.

I think I have every daiwa lt spinner...and that's not an issue I've seen....(not because I like them all..but it's sorta my job....and daiwa came out with a crap ton of new reels so i had to get them)

19 hours ago, glos said:

Most of them do it manually, so they can`t get to that point.

And daiwa relies on that also.

Yet another moronic post...that's like 30 in a row....impressive.

So you assume most manually close their bails (which is false)

and Daiwa is counting on that because the trip mechanism is flawed.....

And then you recommend one of the lowest grade OEM's because...... metal......

lemme guess......never owned any of them either....but the alibaba reviews are stellar!!!!!

Scooby,

Definitely metal cam riding on the plastic housing on the 1000, unless something broke off since it was new. I will post some pics tonight when I get home. Will also look at the exploded reel diagram and see if something is missing.   I love the feel and light weight of the Ballistics. I am hoping maybe a part broke off, which would be an easy fix if parts are available. Thanks again!!

As for being a new member, I had been a frequent reader of the forums for a few years. Just recently decided to join so that I could contribute via posting. Branching out on my fishing a bit. Was always focused on spotted and LM bass. Recently started hunting trophy cats and starting some saltwater fishing. 

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

and Daiwa is counting on that because the trip mechanism is flawed...

No, they dont take care because most fishos do it manualy these days.

And those OEM-s are first class reels, tested and used here.

4 hours ago, snakebit95 said:

Scooby,

Definitely metal cam riding on the plastic housing on the 1000, unless something broke off since it was new. I will post some pics tonight when I get home. Will also look at the exploded reel diagram and see if something is missing.   I love the feel and light weight of the Ballistics. I am hoping maybe a part broke off, which would be an easy fix if parts are available. Thanks again!!

As for being a new member, I had been a frequent reader of the forums for a few years. Just recently decided to join so that I could contribute via posting. Branching out on my fishing a bit. Was always focused on spotted and LM bass. Recently started hunting trophy cats and starting some saltwater fishing. 

Awesome!   I've been putting some time in here and there for the big cats.......fun buggers for sure...

Simply put, all my spinning reels have the bail manually closed.  I have a ballistic, love the reel, with no problems.  Use it and other spinning reels wisely and you'll never have a problem.

Im sorry to here about your problem but since I'm an opportunistic SOB  how much do you want for your bail parts? I have a Tatula LT 2500 that i removed the trip from and now i cant find the parts.

9 hours ago, nfnDrum said:

Im sorry to here about your problem but since I'm an opportunistic SOB  how much do you want for your bail parts? I have a Tatula LT 2500 that i removed the trip from and now i cant find the parts.

Geez.....the reel buzzards are circling already and the reel is not dead yet.

Daiwa online diagrams show the 1000 size reel to have unique bail parts from the 2500 size.  It is not just a spool size change, but the entire body is smaller. But if you want to give the bail parts a try, I would let you have the reel for a cool $200 shipped :-) 

20 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

FYI....since you're a new member here.

Glos (while never owning their products or having any first hand knowledge)

Loves to bash the brand.  90% of his posts not pertaining to bashing the brand are completely off kilter....barely make sense.....many disrespectful....

That tidbit of info aside....

Is there any way you can post up a pic?

I thought the Ballistic had that rubber disc which engages the trip ramp.  

I don't have the 1000...but I do have a 2000 tatula and 2500 ballistic.

If the rubber piece came off it would fail to function....and wear on the ramp.

I think I have every daiwa lt spinner...and that's not an issue I've seen....(not because I like them all..but it's sorta my job....and daiwa came out with a crap ton of new reels so i had to get them)

Scooby, you are correct about the rubber disk.  I took the screw out of the cam and realized there is a tiny roller on the backside of the arm.  I could not see it in my poor lighting before.  I believe I see the problem.  The tiny roller appears to be staked to a shaft on the cam/arm.  The roller is very "wobbly" as if the inside diameter of the roller is no-longer to-size or is deformed.  This is allowing the roller to deflect under load and push off the backside of the ramp.  The roller appears to ride on the very edge of the ramp, which does not make much sense.  I thought there might be a shim missing under the cam/arm, but the diagram does not show one.  Here is a photo of the cam / arm with the deformed roller attached.  Now that I am looking at the backside photo (Cam_Arm1), there appears to be a crack in the cam/arm.  Hard to believe a relatively new reel would have a part fail like this so soon.  Thanks for the feedback on this so far!!  It made me dig a little deeper.

Cam_Arm2.jpg

Cam_Arm1.jpg